Transfering Digital 8 to PC(for high quality)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Giles, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

I'm trying to transfer images from my camcorder to my pc and obtain a very high quality(DVD quality if possible).
    I know this will take up a lot of space but I have a large HD for this. What I don't have(nor plan on getting anytime soon) are a DVD writer or a DV camcorder.

I just got a sony TRV-840 that has iLink(Firewire). My motherboard also has a firewire interface. I also have a gig of DDR memory installed. What would be some other hardware requirements for obtaining what I'm looking for(again, I'm looking for a very high quality output). What's the best software for capturing and editing?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You'll want to invest in a board from either Cannopus or Pinnacle which will run in the the Neighborhood of $3-600 for the good ones. They have the best codecs in the prosumer buisness.

The cheaper stuff, and the port on your drive will use the MS DV codec which is a piece of crap

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Jeff you always complain about the MS dv codec, could you explain why it's "a piece of crap?"

Mark- Look into getting Adobe Premiere 6.0-6.5. It captures through firewire very easily, and is one of the best editing programs for us consumers.

4. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Ok, I like the ADVC 1394 . It looks like it will do what I need. Before buying this, is there anything I can do with my geforce 4 card? It has a S-video connector.