Transfer Songs From One Player To Another? (merged)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by AbelM, Feb 3, 2005.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

How can we do this? Is this posible? My circumstance is that everything is on iTunes (as I was hoping to get an iPOD soon, however, I switched over to Nike or iRIVER) and would like to get all 1400 songs over to either Winamp or Windows Media...any possible way or do I have to pull out the CD's again and redo/burn all songs?

Thanks,
    Abel

2. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Anyone at all [​IMG]

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Well give us some specifics.

What file format did you use when you ripped your CDs using iTunes?

4. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

I just used the normal one that iTunes uses...

5. EricWilliam

EricWilliam Agent

if they are MP3's, then you shouldn't have any problem..now tracks purchased from iTunes are a whole other matter...

6. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

No, everything is CD from my own collection. However, when I burned them to iTunes, I never changed setting to MP3...is there a way to do this?

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you used the iTunes default settings, you probably ripped everything in Apple's AAC format, which will not be compatible with most other players. There are applications available to convert files from one format to another, so you could convert the AAC files to the more common MP3 format. However, the audio quality of the resulting MP3 file will not be as good compared to one ripped directly from the source CD since you will be re-compressing an already compressed audio file.

Personally, I would re-rip the songs from the original CDs for the better audio quality.

8. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Gotcha...thx for the info. I will re-rip everything over again...and if I use MP3, I then can transfer over to WM and make a MP3 CD? [​IMG]

9. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Ok...so I re-ripped about 4 of my CD's over again (because that's what you all suggested to do). Did this, ripped everything in mp3 format on WM and then made an audio cd, not all songs would fit (I was told they would, nope), so I wasted another blank CD, and made a data CD...everything got burned on it, and then my CD player won't play it.

So....what's wrong here? I just want to make a flippin' mp3 CD...arh, didn't think it would be so hard! [​IMG]

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just rip your CDs in WAV so you don't have to fool with ripping again. Delete the WAVs when you sucessfully make the CD.

1) Use EAC or Razorlame to convert the WAVs to MP3, with a bitrate of around 192kbps.

2) Open Nero, import the mp3s into it, and burn the disc.

Nero will tell you if all the files will fit before you start burning. If there's still not enough room, do another conversion of the WAVs you ripped but go lower in bitrate.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Is your CD player even capable of playing MP3 files on a CD? If not, then you're wasting your time burning CDs with MP3s on them. If so, then do what Scott suggests.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if you ripped all your songs to mp3, then copied them to a cd -- and they still won't play -- then something is probably wrong with your player. make sure it's capable of playing mp3's. a typical mp3 cd will hold about...i dunno...a hundred or so songs.

if you do wav files, then *any* cd player will play the songs, but you'll only fit about 15 songs on the cd. also, if you're creating wav files, be sure to use the *original* cd to copy the songs. don't use any of your compressed aac/mp3 files as the source.

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You can also rip your CD's to MP3 files and then use those MP3 files to create a normal Audio CD - most worthwhile CD-burning programs can convert MP3 files on the fly to CD audio tracks for burning. That will create a normal Audio CD comprising the MP3 tracks you copied to the disc.

However, if you want to create "standard" MP3 files you should do a little searching here on the forum. There are certain software tools that are recommended to get the best possible rip quality; my personal recommendation is a combo of Exact Audio Copy and the Lame MP3 encoder to create high quality VBR (variable bit rate) MP3 files suitable for archiving (at least in my opinion; some people refuse to archive at anything less than lossless compression, monkeys audio etc other variants of lossless compression.)

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

15. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

True enough. Using EAC/Lame and ripping to high-quality VBR you do lose quality but no mere mortal can hear that. VBR can give quality that rivals 320kbit CBR but keeps the file sizes lower.