What's new

Transfer quality on MGM's Richard III (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw this title for about C$20 at Future Shop. The movie is an alternate world version that takes place in a 1930's fascist England. It stars Ian Mckellan. The box indicates that it is an anamorphic transfer. I would like to know what the quality is like since MGM does not have the most stellar reputation. I liked this version of Shakespeare's play, even though it was odd to listen to his dialogue coming from people living in a more updated time. Thanks in advance for any replies.
------------------

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I found the transfer to be excellent, The disc also has a surprisingly effective 5.1 mix.
icon14.gif

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks. I am going to pick this one up for my collection. I thought it was quite well done.
------------------

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I bought this one sight unseen and it's become one of my favorites. The picture and sound quality is excellent.
While I'm no fan of the updated Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DeCaprio, I found the late-30's setting and fascist undertones of this version of Richard III to be quite interesting, and not at all detrimental to the story.
As an aside, the vintage cars, trains, and airplanes are gorgeous.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Can somebody who owns the R1 disc please confirm that it is a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer.
I'm asking because Amazon lists it as being 2.35:1 letterbox, and other online retailers that I've looked at just state "widescreen".
I've checked the R2 edition available here in the UK and it is 1.85:1 anamorphic. However, I'm sure that it was 2.35:1 when I saw it in the cinema.
Many thanks.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Richard III is one of those sleeper films and sleeper DVDs. The film itself is abolutely superb with a stellar cast and performances to match. The adaptation is marvelous, and the film features gorgeous costumes, set design, cinematography, and a wonderful score by the underrated Trevor Jones. The writing isn't bad either. The DVD is a pleasure to behold. MGM seems to be a hit or miss studio, and, thankfully, Richard III is a hit. The soundtrack is reference caliber (the opening scene could potentially destroy your subwoofer if it's not up to par) with crystal clear dialog, natural sounding music, and terrific foley effects. The anamorphic transfer is flawless in my book. Not many extras, but this DVD should be in any Shakespeare fan's film library.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I too would endorse this DVD. It really is excellent (though there is a slight bleeding on the titles, there is nothing else really to complain about). Incidentally, the film is based on a very successful stage production (also starring Sir Ian McKellan) which I was fortunate enough to see. Whilst the stage production delivered the whole script, the film has some considerable cuts. However, these in no way trivialise the play and keep it on course. I would say this is my favourite Shakesperean adaptation on film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks