Transfer problem with "The Unnatural" on X-Files Season 6?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason T, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Jason T

Jason T Auditioning

This is my first post in a very long time, so be gentle with me [​IMG]
    I have seen the posts about the transfer problem with "The Triangle" on X-Files Season 6 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=106642. But I suspect that there is a transfer problem with "The Unnatural" episode as well.
    The problem with The Unnatural is that there are shots that are, for lack of a better term, "extra squeezed". The shots look just like if you tell your TV to display something as anamorphic when the source is non-anamorphic -- objects look shorter and fatter than they should.
    A perfect example starts at 14:07. Notice the dimensions of Fred Lane's (The young Arthur Dales) face. It is short and fat. Although you can't really tell, the back shots seem to be of a taller, skinnier face. However, at 14:27, you get a front shot of Fred Lane again, and his face is definitely taller and skinnier there.
    This problem is not something with the flag for anamorphic material. If I set my DVD player (Pioneer DVL-919) to 4:3 LB mode, I still see these scenes incorrectly on my TV (Sony XBR-400)
    I've only gotten about 20-25 minutes into the episode, but I keep seeing shots like this that don't look right.
    So, here go the questions:
    -Is anyone else noticing this?
    -Does anyone have an original broadcast recording, and if so, do you see the same thing?
    -Could this be a stylistic effect ("alien view?"), or is this just a screw up?

2. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I've noticed this when the episode was originally broadcast a few years back - even a few shots of Duchovny seemed to be squeezed vertically, and if I'm not mistaken it also occurs when Mulder is at Dales' doorstep. I don't think is a problem with the DVD set, its just simply reproducing the same effect from the way the episode was originally produced.

3. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

This was David Duchovney's directorial debut. With all due respect, it could be a result of his inexperience as a director.