Transfer of Data Between X-Boxes

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ike, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I was wondering if it is possible to transfer data by linking X-Boxes together in lieu of buying a memory card? I played through a game on a friend's X-Box and now want to play it on mine but don't have a memory card. Since this is a one shot deal, I'd like to hook the X-Boxen together and just tranfer the data through direct connect. Is this possible without setting up an elaborate network?

Thanks for any help.

2. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

The only way to transfer data between xboxes by networking is if both boxes are modded (soft mod or hard mod).

cheers,

Zed

3. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. Do it, get them modded and use Avalaunch with the "File Manager", works wonders [​IMG]!

4. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

I dont want to overtake this thread but im sure this is a question that will come up later. What mod chips do you recommend for the xbox, i'm not to scared to void my warranty.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It won't come up, because modchip discussion is against the rules of the HTF.

6. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

Brian

Why would it be against the rules seeing as how it is fully legal?

A lot of people use it to stream personal video through there xbox?

i think you are mistaken in this judgement or whomeever set this rule maybe should investigate perhaps?

Just my $0.02

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Matthew, modding the Xbox involves breaking the DMCA in the USA. The forum owners have a policy of no discussing hardware etc for breaking the DMCA, macrovision, and other copy protection mechanisms.

That there are uses for modding your XBox that don't involve piracy are irrelevant - the forum owners don't want it discussed.

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I think the bigger question here is "why should it require a mod to get this functionality?" Realistically, would it have been that hard for MS to put support for media streaming and hard drive access into the Xbox from the start? Being able to do things like back up your Xbox hard drive, email savegames, stream audio and video, and add soundtracks from your PC would have made the Xbox a MUCH more attractive purchase. If someone can make a mod to do this, then why not an official release? Perhaps in the Xbox 2...