Transducers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jason McCallum, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Jason McCallum

If you installed a transducer - Buttkicker or another type -
    on a set of tiered risers built into a room, do you think that the vibration or the resonance caused by the low frequency would cause the structure to weaken over time?

2. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Jason

I have also wondered the same since I have my Aura Pro Bass Shakers attached to the frames of each seat. As for the riser, if you have built it well using screws instead of nails, I doubt you have much problem. But let's hear from the others on this one!

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Jason,
    As long as the risers are reasonably sturdy: well braced with glue/screw joints there shouldn't be a problem. I suppose if you had a nasty high-Q resonance in the low bass region, there could be an issue... but that would require huge, massive, floppy unbraced panels. This is not likely in any reasonable box construction - panel resonances are typically above 500hz.

Note that there are lots of high-powered subwoofers on the market that have internal cabinet stresses far beyond what most bass shakers can produce. You don't see them collapsing over time [​IMG]. I believe your design and construction should be more driven by the weight of the furniture/viewers than sonic fatigue.

My riser (click this link and select "DIY speakers") has a built-in 18" JBL pro subwoofer tuned to 22Hz and driven by 600watts. I haven't noticed any degradation in a year-and-a-half.

[​IMG]