Training for a marathon

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jon_Are, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Jun 25, 2001
    Anyone here train for or run in a marathon? I am in week 14 of an 18-week program. I am hitting the peak training week next week (40 miles), then a three-week taper, then the race.

A little background: I've been terribly out of shape almost all of my life. It peaked (or, more accurately, valleyed) on New Years Eve, 2002. Then, I was 270 lbs (at 5'9"). On 1-1-03 I started a diet & exercise program and have since lost 70 lbs. I ran 12 miles/week for more than a year, and was recently talked into training for this upcoming marathon by a friend.

I'm posting now because my longest training run is coming up on Monday - 20 miles. I've already done an 18, so I know it's do-able, but I also know that it's at least 80% mental at this stage. I'd love to hear some advice or encouragement from someone who's been there, or even someone who hasn't.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Aug 15, 2002
    First of all, congratulations on your successes to date. You "just did it," and you'll be better off because of your effort.

Personally, I have never undergone the regimine for marathon training and have, instead, restricted myself to 5K, 10K and 20K races. I've had some difficulty with shin splints and simply can't push any further to longer distances. (I'm aching right now from a race last weekened [​IMG].) I have great admiration for those who do and can.

Therefore, I have no pertinent advice but loads of encouragement. Let us know how things turn out.