What's new

Training Day: First HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray head-to-head movie comparison (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

yeah- but will it be a level playing field when $1200 and $1500 players are the ones competing agains the $500 Toshibas?

what about when the $500 and $600 PS3s come out? will Bd-at-all-costs fans cry foul if Bds look inferior on those systems as well?

BTW- Good Night and Good Luck just got a rave by the same reviewer.
Its good to see that Mpeg2 can handle pin stripes and fine details like this without introducing problems- I wonder if the lack of color information helps here?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Your point is well taken.
Just, for me, when we see a fixed Sammy, the next step will be...
a 1080p Tosh!!! ;-)

Hey, and then software wise, advanced codec BD.
Then BD 50.
Then, then, a highend HD DVD!
Then, then , then...
;-)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

It's not unfair at all. The BluRay group made the choice to go ahead with an inferior codec and a compromised player. The comparisons are perfectly valid, since that's what they chose to go into battle with. It doesn't mean the BluRay format is inferior, since with the proper codecs the films could look virtually indistinguishable from their HD DVD counterparts, but it does mean that the BluRay group is failing to offer competitive product to consumers.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'd always figured that when I eventually bought into one of the HD formats it would be Blu-Ray, but now I have to say that it would be HD-DVD instead. More titles, better video/audio and much cheaper players. Not really much of a contest if you ask me.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
If Rio is correct and this disc only used 17Gb, with MPEG2 and all those extras, it bodes well for future releases on this format regardless of the codec applied (assuming adequate care is taken with the mastering and authoring).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Stop with the personal references towards other members! I've moved and edited some posts, if any future posts are similar in nature then my next step will be more severe towards those that don't heed my warning.

Crawdaddy

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Totally agree on all points. HD-DVD has definitely earned some headway in the battle to win the consumer dollar. If it was the only option available I would be more than happy to pick up a player, but I'm still waiting for that true head-to-head comparison. Give me identical films using the same codecs and then I'll decide if the additional cost of entry for Blu is necessary for my own enjoyment.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

The quality issue is debateable. Already the head-to-head reviews have stated you have to really look for differences, and on a DNR'ed player (the Samsungs haven't been fixed yet).

As for the other, in other words continued limited supply of a "player" that really is a modified laptop selling at a loss. Look to UMD to see how the studios like supporting a single machine format.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Sounds debatable to me. With Panasonic, Pioneer, and Sony's players coming these "differences" may well disappear. When Warner's VC-1 discs start appearing this will be a moot point.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Is this the thread comparing Training Day on both formats? Difficult to tell anymore! :D

BTW, I'm sorry for my own off topic post. Totally sinful.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, Rob. I agree.
The discussions about BD taking "too much" heat at this stage have been split off to a thread of their own. (Ricardo C: I had to split one of your posts to maintain logic in both threads. Everything you said was preserved.)

Please do not resume those type of discussions here, including the same old stories about the Toshiba player being "a notebook" or sold "at a loss", which is totally irrelevant to this movie comparison, even if it was true.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
I hope both inputs and sources were calibrated to make the fair statement that BR "looked darker". Since there are a lot of people interested which is better, I cannot stress that calibration for both audio and video are necessary for each input to make an apples to apples comparision. (I almost made the same mistake with my Sony's video-3 input - it gamma is terrible compared to the first two).

AndreGB

Stunt Coordinator
But anyway, aren't we comparing two players, instead of two formats? I mean, today we know how huge the difference between two DVD players is. And that's the same format.

I seriously think we need more players from both sides to draw definitive conclusions such as "this format is better, period". Don't you think? ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just finished watching Training Day in HD-DVD. Wow. This was my first time to see the film and it's really good. A tough film.

The image is the best I've seen so far in HD. Although I haven't popped in Phantom Of The Opera yet.

Details were sharp but lacked any shimmering and just a rock solid picture throughout the film. Natural fleshtones....clean.

Audio ripped when it needed too. Good fidelity.

I'll be saying this alot...but another top notch HD-DVD from the good folks at Warner Bros. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks