Train derailment might have damaged my incoming Fluance speaker package

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by perrin, Jul 24, 2003.

1. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

I was checking the status of my Fluance AV-HTB speaker package from UPS, and it looks like the train it was on had a derailment. I called UPS about any further information, but the operator did not have any new information. She said keep checking the track information for any new developments.

I looked at Fluance's warranty page, and they state if UPS has damaged any items then it might take 15 days to get a new set of speakers once they receive a claims receipt. I just hope nothing has happened to them. I cannot believe this has happened after I waited a week. This has been a good learning experience that it might be a good idea to shop at a local store than online because anything could happen.

perrin

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

What a bummer. Sorry to hear the bad news. I'll cross my fingers that everything is okay. Was everyone all right in the train derailment? Didn't hear about it on the news.

3. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

No, I cannot find any new information in the newspapers or on the internet. I am hoping this was not a major derailment. May be this is why the news has not reported it.

perrin

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Most residentiual deliveries will not require a signature, but if you do catch the UPS person and have to sign for it make sure you inspect it well. Make sure there is no visable damage, and open it up and check for concealed damage. I work with receiving at my company, and let me tell you, if there is any question in you mind sign for it damaged (or make some kind of note). If you sign for it clear it is over, and you will have a terrible time getting a claim.

5. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

I did call Fluance and I left a message about what happened. After about 3 or 4 hours, a representative called and asked my what happened to the shipment. I explain that UPS had a train derailment here in Seattle around 11 pm. He asked me what was the status on the package, and I told him that the operator told me to check the tracking website for any updates.

The person from Fluance said he would call UPS to check on the status. After half an hour, the guy from Fluance told me that there is a delay because of the train derailment. He did say that the package is okay, and I should receive tomorrow. Also, he said if the speakers were delayed any further, he would send me another package for a replacement, and he would call me tomorrow to see if I got it. I can say that Fluance has great customer service, and I will shop with them again.

perrin

6. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I hope everything works out OK, keep us posted. Also I'd like to hear what you think of your speakers when you get them.

7. Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly Agent

They'll probably be all right.
    When I received my fluance speakers I had to have like 3 people just help me unpack them they were packaged so well.
    By the way, for the price that I paid, my speakers rock.
    Sv-10
    Dipole Surrounds
    AV-SC Center Channel

8. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

Ben,

I hope I can get these speakers out of the box once I get them. They sound very heavy. What do you think how they sound with music and movies? I am very excited to be getting this package.

perrin

9. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

This is an update on my Fluance AV-HTB speakers. I finally got them from UPS, and they seem not to suffer any damage. I like how Fluance double boxes the speakers, and I had to help the UPS driver to bring them in my apartment because it was very heavy.

After I hooked up the speakers with the 14 gauge wire, I was really amazed at the sound. They sounded very full and detailed. My new Velodyne VX-10 subwoofer really brings the bass alive when I am playing DVDs. I did have little hard time with the speaker wire because it is my first home theater speaker set. I used bare wire for all of them. Do you think I should use banana plugs the next time I have to wire them? Only the mains have five-way binding posts while the rest have the regular spring clips.

Since I have a sub, do I set the mains as small or large? Also, the rears need to be calibrated to hear the sound. All in all, I do think I bought an amazing deal with these speakers, and I recommend them highly to anyone who wants to have 5.1 setup with a limited budget.

perrin

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

bananas are a bit more convenient but whatever works for you is fine.
    i'd do small.
    calibrate all the speakers using the spl.

11. Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly Agent

Perrin,
    I'm very pleased with my speakers so far. I'm a newbie and their great beginning speakers but when compared with Polk RTI800's I can't tell the difference. In Movies they sound awesome, same thing with Music. You definately have to get a Sub though to fully appreciate them.

12. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

Ben,

I do have a subwoofer. It is the Velodyne VX-10, a 10" sub with 150 Watts of power. I never had a sub before, and it makes movies really come alive. Now I need to learn how to calibrate these great speakers, so I can enjoy it even more. I plan to buy the Radio Shack's SPL meter with my copy of Avia in order to do this.

I was playing with "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" extended version DVD, and the sound from these speakers is amazing. I think after they get broken in they will sound more fuller and richer.

perrin