Trailers with Punch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jaxon's Dad, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    Trailers are designed to grab your attention and get you excited about a given film. It's always interesting to see a trailer after having seen the feature to compare/contrast reactions. Usually the trailer no longer has the same fascination and excitement because having seen the movie, the surprises alluded to in the trailer are now known. I posted in this thread that my sole home theater ritual consists of watching the featured DVD's trailers/teasers before actually watching the movie. I do this to try to capture the wonder and excitement originally felt during the build up before the original theatrical run of the movie. Most times it doesn't work.
    The only trailer that I've come across that still grabs me despite the fact that I've seen the film dozens of times is for Oliver Stone's JFK. It gives nothing of the plot away and does a great job of building up the tension. Very well-edited trailer. Any other nominations for trailers with punch?

2. Michael Pedrosa

There are some all-time great trailers that I always love to watch. Coming to mind right now are Alien, The Shining, the Hitchcocks (particularly Psycho and Rear Window), and The Matrix.
    There's something about the trailer for Contact that I also like very much.

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The trailer for THE EXORCIST with all the quick flashes of the demon face. Freaks me out every time. Excellent trailer! It's on the 25th Anniversary Disc, if you want a look. It was also butchered for the Version You'll Never Want to See Again.

4. Gareth Flynn

Gareth Flynn Stunt Coordinator

As much as I'm sure most of you dislike the film, the actual trailers for 'Pearl Harbor' are minor works of art. The shots of the zeros coming in over land and sea never fail to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and the choice of music is sublime. The first time I saw the teaser, I went from hating the very idea of the film to wanting to see it immediately.
    Another one I love is 'Magnolia'. Beautiful use of music again - sequeing from Aimee Mann's 'Momentum' to Jon Brion's heart-breaking score - and a great tagline ('People look up ... Things fall down ... And when it rains, it pours'). I knew I'd love the film just from watching the trailer.

5. Todd Bennington

One of my all time favorites is for the Royal Tenenbaums. It still gives me goosebumps even though I've seen the film many times. What's interesting is that the 2nd trailer on the DVD is one the WORST I've ever seen. It's amazing how different 2 trailers for the same movie can be.

I also find it interesting to watch trailers for classic films - I'm surprised how bad many of them are.

6. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars: SE
    Speed
    Spiderman TEASER
    Alien
    T2
    Forrest Gump
    Revenge of the Jedi [​IMG]
    Superman Teaser
    Airheads (bad movie, great trailer)
    ID4 (pick one) [​IMG]
    I'll add more as I think of them.
    Mike

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Not trying to get anyone's emotions up, but my recent favorite is without question the World Trade Center Spider-Man trailer. It is one of the most brilliant trailers in recent memory.
    I can think of no other trailer that keeps you in complete suspense for almost a good minute, making you guess like crazy what the trailer is for.
    Is it a cop movie? Is it a sequel to an existing movie? Are the bad guys the protagonists or antagonists? Is Robocop going to come in and stop the robbery? [​IMG] They're escaping now, so what's going to stop them? They seem to be getting away! What's going on? WHAT'S GOING ON!?
    Suddenly, the trailer smacks you upside the head when it all comes together by seeing that giant spider web between the towers. Even at the initial exterior shots when the criminals were suspended, you still didn't know for sure what was going on until the fast zoom out to get everything in the frame. My only respose to that trailer was "That is *SO* [censored] cool!!!", and I still consider it to be one of the best trailers in recent memory. It was completely suspenseful, brilliantly shot, and kept you guessing until the very end when it all came together perfectly.
    Added after initial post: Mike_G, that is a GREAT sig image! Although I will still buy the DVD, I fully support your cause!

8. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

You may all have mixed feelings about the films themselves, but I loved the following trailers:
    The Relic - they have this point where a flashlight illuminates a dark area and the search dog just starts barking at something offscreen. Chilling and effective.
    Red Planet - The pacing and music all really grabbed me, as did the lander launching from the ship. Very kinetic. Sadly missing from the DVD, and hard to find for download.
    I fully support getting all of the teasers and trailers for a film on the DVD release. They can often be minor works of art and can make any film seem great.

9. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

say what you will about the movie, but CLIFFHANGER has a great trailer.

10. ThomasWall

ThomasWall Auditioning

I agree with the post about Magnolia. Had a great trailer. Always liked the first trailer for Gladiator but I think that's mostly because it had that great music from Conan the barbarian.

11. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    The Spider-Man teaser was REALLY good. Last year, the overall winner was the first trailer for Ice Age. The first time I saw it, I had no idea what the film was, and had heard absolutely no buzz about the film, so the trailer caught me totally off-guard. It just played out like its own little mini-movie, and it was so funny I was very lucky to escape with my pants still dry. Another one I'll never forget was the teaser trailer for T2 that just had the footage of a terminator being built - very cool!

12. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

I third the vote for Magnolia! I love that first trailer/teaser

13. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Say what you will, but I thought Pearl Harbor had an awesome trailer.

-- Matt

14. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Shouldn't this thread be in Movies??? [​IMG]
    I agree on Pearl Harbor, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Magnolia. Great trailers all.
    Others I thought were excellent:
    • American Beauty ("Look closer")
    • Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me ("If you see only one movie this year...")
    • Eyes Wide Shut ("Cruise. Kidman. Kubrick.")
    • A.I. Artificial Intelligence ("His love is real")

15. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    my favs

ALIEN
    THE ABYSS
    THE EXORCIST (flash face)

16. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

I'm in full agreement with Mr. Berger's comments above.

The Spider-Man teaser is simply brilliant on all levels.

-g

17. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Personal favorites:

Lawn Dogs - It does an excellent job of setting up the premise with the first section, but what really had me hooked is the last part. When the faster music(which is just fantastic) kicks in and the editing picks up, the rest is mesmerizing. Then the music slows down and one perfect last line of dialogue is spoken(which summerizes the film's theme). I don't think a more exciting trailer for a dramatic film exists.

Event Horizon - Just like the film, the music matches the visuals to great effect and appropriately creepy lines of dialogue are spread throughout. They chose the perfect images from the film. For example, there's a very brief shot of Justin tumbling out of the airlock. Until I saw the film I had no idea what I was looking at, but it was beautiful and frightening at the same time(exactly like the rest of the film).

Dark City - Not a word of dialogue is spoken and there are no sound effects, just some of the best shots of the film quickly edited together, with the occassional insert and the best music ever heard in a trailer. Once the fish bowl shatters on the bathroom floor and the bass kicks in, the rest is a visual feast. My favorite trailer of all time.

Honorable mention:

Deep Rising - After watching the absolutely horrid Anaconda(which had a somewhat decent trailer) my initial fear was that this would just be more of the same. By the time the trailer had ended, I was looking forward to this film more than any other. The trailer had me expecting a mile-a-minute action/adventure and that's exactly what I got.

These are some of my favorite films, now. I went into the theater with high expectations and came out impressed every single time...

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hmm, this is rather subjective but...

- Titanic
    - The Mask Of Zorro
    - Dark City
    - Dinosaur
    - Lord Of The Rings
    - The Phantom Menace

19. BobG

BobG Stunt Coordinator

My top 10 trailers
    1. Forrest Gump; running at almost 4 minutes long, it perfectly captures the magic of Forrest Gump
    2. Any Given Sunday; the use of Kid Rock's 'Bawitaba' makes for one kick-ass montage
    3. Independence Day theatrical trailer; the use of Hans Zimmer's score from Crimson Tide is awesome.
    4. True Lies teaser; found on the Abyss SE, it shows a scene not in the theatrical release.
    5. Training Day; I love the beat of Cypress Hill's Rock Superstar.
    6. The Majestic; Great Music
    7.Black Hawk Down teaser and theatrical trailers; Knock, Knock, Knockin' on Heavens door!
    8. Saving Private Ryan re-release trailer; John Williams' Hymn to The Fallen is brilliant.
    9. Die Hard with a Vengeance teaser; "On a good day he's a good cop. On a bad day, he's the best there is."
    10. Lethal Weapon 2; "This time, they're not takin' any crap!"

20. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor