What's new

TRAILERS: Where are they? (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Miramax etc from Disney
Columbia
C'mon - it's not a rights issue as they appear on other discs.
Chocolat - Collector's Series without the trailer?
Typical rental mentality.
Trailers prompt repeat viewing, featurettes do not.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Christopher Carr

Stunt Coordinator
DOWN TO YOU didn't have one and the upcoming movie GET OVER IT (which is basically a special edition but not labled as one) doesn't have a trailer either. I could see why DOWN TO YOU didn't have a trailer on it because the trailer looks like it is advertising a whole new movie because basically 1/3 of the trailer is footage which isn't in the final product which I wish they kept in.
But why all of a sudden is Miramax not putting trailers on their releases? Another Julia Stiles movie which came out was HAMLET (2000) which also didn't have a trailer...and again was done by Miramax. BOUNCE had a Teaser but not the actual trailer. So why aren't trailers being put onto the movies. I remember when movies were basically all barebone releases and the only good thing on em was the trailer...HAMLET's only special features were trailers from OTHER Miramax movies...argh...this whole thing is giving me a headache!
------------------
"I don't want to kiss you here...I want to kiss you- there."
"You can put it anywhere"
"Kathryn, the only thing you are going to be riding is me!"

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
My guess for a lot of these would be the music in the trailer. I know most (or all) of the Chocolat trailers had "Breathless" by The Coors playing in the background. Probably cost effetive to put it on the trailer, but not on the DVD as Disney would have to pay something to The Coors. Have not seen the other trailers mentioned above, so I can't comment on those.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Look, I have to be blunt. Laserdisc and DVD, combined, have been with us for over 10 years. It is fact that trailers are a large part of the "added value" people purchase these items for. It's understandable and forgivable that, say, Paramount cannot put older trailers on DVD due to music clearances. But when the current marketing department of a studio cannot have the foresight to license trailer music for all media, not just film and television, they need to do more homework or get another job.
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

MikeyW

Agent
On a few of my DVDs, I've shown friends trailers, which eventually have made them want to see, and in some cases BUY the movie. It's good for sales. Lack of trailers pisses me off.
------------------

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
exactamundo!
I play trailers for my customers.
the other point is that they more or less tack the trailer onto the featurettes - that's sloppy, and still not a rights issue.
if it is - MODIFY the trailer which obviously happens a lot for video.
just don't leave it out altogether.
if we haven't seen the movie yet, we don't want to see how it is made, just to know what it is about.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
, and the wrath of Khan. For some, it will be their first mission. For others, it will be their last!
Anyone else recall that one?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Christopher Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I am absolutely not getting this!!!
Today I purchased the Non-Trailer DVD, GET OVER IT and it has some sneak peaks on it. Well, it featured a couple of Buena Vista movies...
SHE'S ALL THAT
10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU
a THIRTY SECOND SOUNDTRACK PROMO
But not only does it have those...has DOWN TO YOU, BOYS AND GIRLS and BOUNCE...
I wouldn't have a problem with this if on these disc's actual movies it had these trailers. Neither DOWN TO YOU, BOYS AND GIRLS or BOUNCE DVDs have their theatrical trailers to them. Will I have to buy another Buena Vista movie to get GET OVER IT's trailer?!
I'm guessing there wasn't any problem with licensing music...I think Buena Vista is just being more lazy now a days with trailers and which ones should belong on the ACTUAL discs!
------------------
"I don't want to kiss you here...I want to kiss you- there."
"You can put it anywhere"
"Kathryn, the only thing you are going to be riding is me!"

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
dude,
same thing with Blow Dry.
the featurette made it look BORING!
and it is a good movie.
here's a brilliant trailer, anamorphic to boot - AN EVERLASTING PIECE!
Disney - this crap has to stop!
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
And it continues...Universal puts out a bang-up new DVD of AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, but without the trailer. Yet, they manage to squeeze in a Realart reissue trailer for the original THE WOLF MAN. A nice thought, but how can you justify putting a trailer for another movie on the disc without using the disc's actual trailer, especially since it had previously appeared on Live/Artisan's OP DVD?
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks