TRAILER: Miramaxe Version of Takeshi Kitano's ZATOICHI

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brian Thibodeau, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

They say it's coming in 2004, but somehow I suspect it will just be warehoused with so many other Asian films that the studio just seems to want to claim it owns.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/zatoichi.html

I missed this at the Toronto Film Festival last year and have been dying to see it. Now that Miramax has it, I guess I'll have to waith for a Hong Kong DVD release if I really want to see it.

Still, looks pretty wicked.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

It was shown at Sundance subbed and uncut.

I personally think that Beat Takeshi has the clout to get a "no cuts or dub" clause in his contract with Miramax.

3. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    I saw this at the London Film Festival last year. Quite a strange film - as usual, Kitano alternates short, sharp action sequences with slower, more tender / comic interludes. He also manages to slip in a few semi-musical numbers !

I'm a big Kitano fan but I didn't feel he got the balance of elements quite right here. Worth seeing, as ever, but if you're more a Zataoichi fan than a Kitano fan, you might find it hard going. It's quite bloody, but the gore is all CGI, giving it a surreal effect that should negate any interference from censors.

4. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Seville Pictures has the rights to this in Canada. No word if they have to go day/date with Miramax.

5. Brian Thibodeau

Seville did a nice job with the Vidocq Special Edition DVD, didn't they? So maybe they'll treat us northerners to a special edition Zatoichi that Miramaxe won't be bothered with.

6. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

speaking of cut-up Asian movies, just read that Hero has shifted its theater date to mid-June from Apr 16, to avoid conflicting with Kill Bill vol. 2, which is planned for that date

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

"Last year, 2054, the remains of the never-before-seen Miramaxe cut of Hero were found in the Miramaxe vault. Now, for the first time, experience the cut-up power of legendary director Zhang Yimou, but please wait as we delay this film for another 50 years."

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Are y'all talking about the following Zatoichi, which Amazon shows releasing on DVD 2/24/04?

[​IMG]

If so, I may pick it up, assuming 116min is the original theatrical running time and it's OAR.

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

That's the 1989 version... and being Media Blasters, it should have Japanese and english subtitles.

10. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I am looking forward to Kitano's Zatoichi. I have only recently started watching the series. I believe the one pictured above was the last of the series until Kitano's?

As for Hero, great movie, I've had the DVD since last May.

11. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I would really like to find a few good sites and/or forums dedicated to Asian cinema...martial arts, love, drama, horror...all kinds. Could some of you reading this thread reccomend some?

Thanks for pointing this film out to me Brian, I look forward to checking it out...if it makes it to theaters this year.

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Is the 1989 Zatoichi any good? I saw it on a store shelf the other day and was tempted to grab it.

13. Brian Thibodeau

Kyle

There are a a few Asian film forums out there, but I'm not familiar with more than a couple:

Mobius Home Video Forum has an Asian branch that you can access from the main page www.mhvf.net
    On the downside, Mobius has gotten kinda soft over the past year and has consistently pared back its contributors to a rather select core group, and while they all know their stuff, they've seem sometimes to be bored with the older Asian stuff that many people are still just discovering. They also spend an increasing of time apologizing to and consoling each other over slights both real and perceived, so it's grown a bit touchy feely.

Hong Kong Entertainment News In Review also has some good info and news:
    http://www.hkentreview.com/

One newer site that has forums is Asian Box Office, run by Toan Hoag. Not always the most articulate debate, and still fairly new, but sometimes a good source for info and opinions.
    http://www.asianboxoffice.com/forum/
    He also posts a lot of worthy news articles from a variety of Asian, European and American sources related to Asian movies, directors and stars.

I'm positive others here can recommend more sites, and hopefully will, but I must point out that I'd give anything, ANYTHING to have an Asian Film Forum at HTF . I know the moderators might not see the value of it, what with a regional DVD area already, but I really think Asian movies are a world unto themselves, with a large enough fan base to support discussion of them in a dedicated forum (witness the recent Korean Movies thread in HT Softwear, among others). I'm a GIGANTIC Asian film collector and buff and I read nearly every Asian post that makes it into the Movie, Regional and Software forums. It would be really cool if they could all be united under one branch so less searching would be required. I know the logic behind this could mean that people would be begging for separate threads for nearly every arm of world cinema, but I don't think that is often the case with most forum sites. Perhaps European Movies might be a worthwile counterpoint? Or an Asian Movies & DVD forum?

I know I'd love to discuss (and hopefully convert) newcomers to the movies I've enjoyed by the thousands over the past 14 years and continue to enjoy on a regular basis. I still feel like a newbie to the "genre" in so may ways, each time I discover some new gem from Thailand, Taiwan, Korea, China, the Philippines. It started with Hong Kong cinema of course, but there's SO MUCH fantastic cinema emanting from these countries that they justify their own forum.

14. Tim-H.

Tim-H. Second Unit

Well supposedly this is 'released', but it's not playing in NYC.
    I've managed to see it on DVD, but really hoped to catch it in a theater.
    I should now rail against Miramax...but I'm just too depressed.

15. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

It's in exclusive engagements right now. It's playing in two theaters around me.

~T

16. ForresterW

ForresterW Stunt Coordinator

Actually, it is playing at AMC theater in NYC. It's at 42nd st.

17. Tim-H.

Tim-H. Second Unit

Thanks--I see it's at Angelika and Lincoln Plaza now, too. For some reason, Yahoo Movies had no showtimes listed...