Traffik - Mini Series - Has Anyone Seen It??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshB, Dec 17, 2002.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I just watched Steven Soderberghs "Traffic" and just realized how much I enjoyed it watching it after such a long time. I could go on all night talking about its good qualities(and bad) but my question was has anyone seen the British mini series "Traffik", and if so, how is it and the DVD. I can't find any reviews and can get it pretty cheap. If anyone has any comments on it, that would be great.

2. James D

James D Second Unit

I picked up Traffik through Columbia House as an enrollment selection and was quite glad that I did. The mini-series is better than the Soderbergh film IMHO, having more running time to flesh out the characters. The mini-series features a very early role for Julia Ormond and a great performance by one of my favorite actors, Bill Paterson. The DVD itself is rather mediocre to poor in terms of quality, but is still worth it for the compelling story. Here is a link to a couple of good reviews-
    http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3...land=%25&ok=go

3. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

The miniseries is terrific. I watched all of it over Thanksgiving weekend, and couldn't wait to get to the next installment, even if I knew some of what was to come from the Soderbergh film. The filmed-in-Pakistan sequences are particularly stunning, and I particularly liked Lindsay Duncan in the part later enacted by Catherine Zeta-Jones.

4. FredCampbell

FredCampbell Agent

I'll second everything Bob said. The England-Pakistan connection was a real revelation to me. I was so used to thinking in terms of the US-Mexico dynamic.

5. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis Extra

I got, and watched, the Traffik DVDs before I had ever seen Traffic. When I finally saw Traffic I was somewhat let down because I so loved the miniseries.
    Traffik is a poor quality DVD as far as picture and sound goes, but the story is what is important, and that is excellent!

6. andrew markworthy

It was a series on Brit TV a few years ago. Good story, well acted. Indifferent sound and visuals, as already mentioned, but given the quality of everything else, this doesn't really matter.

7. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

How does the US version handle the advert breaks? In many instances the picture and / or audio continued when the "End of Part One" (etc) bumpers were on-screen.

On the UK release these have been rather clumsily edited-around, often losing (relatively insignificant) bits of footage.

8. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Is there a British release in Region 2 that is better quality?

Jeff

9. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine Stunt Coordinator

I saw this series on PBS several years ago. It was terrific. The Film is not nearly as detailed (obviously) or as compelling.

RB

10. Todd Bennington

I guess I'm in the minority here but I preferred the film to the mini-series. I have suspicion that whatver version one saw first will color their viewing of the other (much like reading a book and then the film version). Part of my problem with the mini-series was the drab look and lackluster cinematography. I realize this was done for BBC television and so won't have the production values of the film, but visual inventiveness of the film was one of my favorite things about it. And part of it is that the pakistan-germany-uk conection, while valid, doesn't resonate as well with me, as most of our drugs in the us come from mexico/south america. As the film dealt more with the US situation I found it more compelling. I realize that most don't share my thoughts on this but I will say that both are very worthwhile and well done and worth watching.

11. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

12. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine Stunt Coordinator