What's new

Traffic Ticket ? (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I remember hearing one time that if a person pays extra on a traffic ticket then you get a refund check for the difference. If you don't cash that refund check then the transaction isn't complete and they can't nail your insurance. Also does anyone know how much they nail you for on insurance if you right turned on red without stopping first? Guess what happened to me this morning? :b

thanks
jay

Denward

Supporting Actor
I posted this question once and someone pointed me to snopes.com which refuted it as another urban myth.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It's probably true in a few municipalities with outdated computer systems, but I bet it won't work in the majority of cases.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The ticket shows up on your record regardless of accounting. Even if it was true, the check typically has a time limit on it, and will expire whether you cash it or not.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Not sure as to the validity of this, but if the ticket is failure to stop at the signal, it MAY not be a moving violation, depending on your states laws.

I would ask the DMV...My mom got a ticket for running a stop sign a few years back, and she paid it and no points/no rate hike.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is completely true. Infraction vs moving violation carry different weight on your record.

Points vs rate hike are two different things. Points do not automatically mean your rates will go up, because your insurance company has to find out about them. If they don't have a reason to check your record, they usually don't. I have gotten various speeding tickets and my insurance company never knew about them, because they do not check on a regular basis. I'm not sure if they actually cannot check without a reason or if they can do it randomly at their discretion, but I was able to clear all my tickets before they looked at my record recently when I got in an accident.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
What's been said above is all pretty much the truth. I've recieved a few speeding tickets (3 actually, within an 18 month window) and my insurance rates never changed. The reason is my carrier in particular only checks if you make a change to your policy or have to file a claim for some reason. Luckily I kept myself clean until they disappeared from the DMV so I stayed out of the rate hike.

Also true is that it is a myth about over paying means the transaction stays open. Not only is that not the case, but they are also under no obligation to refund you the difference. They typically take the extra funds and direct them towards government agencies or departments. I talked to a county clerk who said the fines are right there on the ticket and if someone over pays it is up to them to point out the mistake.

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
How about tickets from other countries? I just got a speeding ticket in Canada and wonder if it'll show up on my California record.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks