What's new

Traditional versus wireless speakers (1 Viewer)

esh21167

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
New member here with perhaps a silly question:

I've had a decent 5.1 setup for a while. Lexicon DC2, Rotel 5x100 amp, 5 NHT Super Ones, and an Adire Audio 12 sealed sub. (Just didn't ever upgrade to the 7.1.) Just upgraded to an OLED TV and discovered the whole internally amplified wireless speaker phenomenon, i.e. Sonos.

As I was at a Best Buy, I did not get to hear the Sonos setup. Of course the 20 year old sales person says a Sonos system with playbar, ones, and sub is awesome, much better than what I currently have. Has technology really improved that much? I just don't see how those small speakers in a perforated metal box can outperform a traditional speaker design.

Thanks for any insight.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
They can’t. I seriously doubt anything Sonos puts out can match your Super Ones. Wireless can be okay for secondary zones, but you still get the best performance in the main system with quality hard-wired speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

esh21167

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
That's what I thought. Thanks!

I guess the twentysomethings have a completely different viewpoint. Ten years ago there were several decent HT shops in my area, now there is one mediocre shop. I guess semi-serious to serious HT enthusiasts are few and far between now.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ten years ago there were several decent HT shops in my area, now there is one mediocre shop. I guess semi-serious to serious HT enthusiasts are few and far between now.
I think it's more about the consolidation in retail the past decade, due to the internet. Plus the constant price pressures on stores. Few people, even enthusiasts, are willing to pay for expertise -- get educated by the seasoned salesperson at the dedicate boutique shop and then buy from Amazon to save 20%.

esh21167

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
I think it's more about the consolidation in retail the past decade, due to the internet. Plus the constant price pressures on stores. Few people, even enthusiasts, are willing to pay for expertise -- get educated by the seasoned salesperson at the dedicate boutique shop and then buy from Amazon to save 20%.

That's true. And since nearly everything is returnable, you can just do some research, buy and try, and if you don't like the product, send it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekbd
Recent bookmarks