What's new

Traditional Christmas music CD recommendations?? (1 Viewer)

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Subject pretty much sums it up. I'm looking for a new Christmas CD and would like a few recommendations.

I'm not really interested in another CD that has Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, Jingle Bell Rock, and the like. (I've got a few of these that I enjoy already) I'm looking for a CD with traditional renditions of religious songs like O Come all ye Faithful, Do you hear what I hear, Joy to the World, We three Kings, etc.

"Traditional" is a key word, I'm not that big on vocal gymnastics.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A couple of traditionalist faves include Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song and Andy Williams' Christmas Album.

And don't be scared of/avoid country artists' Christmas records. They're frequently more traditional in production and vocal style than pop.

I'm particularly fond of Martina McBride's White Christmas and Vince Gill's Breath of Heaven, with arrangements done by Sinatra collaborator Patrick Williams and his orchestra. That's a link to the DTS version of the album, with a 5.1 mix done by the outstanding Chuck Ainlay.

-p

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This year I picked up a few new things that would fit the bill, Steve.

Among them, THIS new release by Erin O'Donnell . Click on the link and you'll be regaled by her version of Hark, the Herald Angels Sing. Terific! :emoji_thumbsup: (Actually, as I've been composing this note, the entire O'Donnell Christmas CD seems to be cycling through from the link! :D )

Also picked up the new release by MercyME -- The Christmas Sessions . Kind of an up-to-date sound on the traditional hymns with some new stuff mixed in.

I also recommend any of Amy Grant's Christmas CDs. She has always mixed hymns and secular Christmas tunes together with great effect.

And, since folks are suggesting the more traditional fare...such as Nat Cole, Andy Williams and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir...let me add the all-time classic album The Little Drummer Boy by The Harry Simeone Chorale. Classic hymns done in a classic style.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Stongly recommended:

A Dave Brubeck Christmas. (Telarc)
Excellent recording. Solo piano.

An Oscar Peterson Christmas (Telarc)
Also an excellent recording.

Don't let the jazz category scare you away from these. Sure, Oscar isn't going to play every note exactly as you've always heard it (Dave mostly does), but there's never a note out of place and this is music he respects and likes, too. Oscar's laid back style on this CD just fits so well that its a CD I love and my 80-year-old Mom likes and she's no fan of jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks