What's new

Trading Spaces- designer Frank must be stopped! (1 Viewer)

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
I mean, have ANY of his designs turned out to be something you would live in? As soon as he says he wants to introduce "whimsy" you know the homeowner is screwed- it usually means painting dopey phrases on the walls or bad half-assed paintings. Ugh! He has turned into the designer that I love to hate. And lets not even get into the issue of his oft-mentioned "wife".

Man, who in there right mind would submit their home to such a thing? I mean if you could have an anti-Frank clause I might consider it. Some of Vern or Hilde's designs have been OK, on camera at least.

Which of these guys would you want designing your home?

Jodee

Screenwriter
I like Vern and Genevieve's designs the best, and Doug and Hilde's usually look nice too.

Laurie is a bit too frou-frou with her fabrics and such (she always blows the budget on some over-priced fabric for curtains and pillows.) Frank is horrible, although he is a nice guy.

My sister is into all that country-crafty stuff and we always say if we were ever on that show we'd want Frank to design her room. My sister would refuse to work with Hilde, who she kindly describes as a "bitch."

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I like Genevieve because I saw her thong once. Ever since then it's been love. Vern is my favorite designer as he is the manliest of all the femmes they have as designers. Frank isn't my least favorite, I would say that Laurie is my least favorite as her personality is WEAK, and her designs are VERY feminine. While were at it I think Ty is a much better carptenter than Amy Wynn and preferred LAST years host over the freak show that is Paige Davis. Alex McCloud was a SUPER hottie and made EVERY show worth watching.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I can't stand Doug. I consistently like Vern's stuff. I can't believe Frank is married! I had to check out TLC.com to confirm that. My girlfriend and I were sure he was...not married.

Trading Spaces has a spot on my TV every Sunday.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Of the few shows I've watched, I've liked Franks stuff the best. While watching you wonder what the hell he's doing, and I think it usually ends up OK.

I've seen Hilda do two bedrooms, one which she painted black and one very very dark Grey which were both pretty sparse.

The only one with Genevieve I've watched... she covered an entire bedroom wall with moss!!

And I think Paige is quite a cuttie.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I keep having this reoccuring vision when my girlfriend is watching that show that they come to my house, unbeknownest to me, and do a COMPLETE makeover to my home theater room.

I come home from a few days on the road and my beloved room is now orange and has wild arse stuff on the walls and all my equipment has been moved into some cedar antique wardrobe that is "just so cute".

Upon seeing the horror, I either faint or consider the use of deadly force. More than likely the latter.

Am I alone in this fear?

-- Matt

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Every time Frank talks about his wife, I get a vision of Jiminy Glick talking about making sweet love to Dixie.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I like the jobs that Frank and Vern do. Vern has never had a bad episode. I can't stand Laurie. She just irks me. She's way too giggly and girlie :)
Genevieve is a pretty hot babe. That kids room she did with the astroturf circles and the puppet show stage was awful.
Amy Wynn(sp?) the carpenter is pretty cute as well. Ty, the other carpenter can be funny at times.
I don't like Hilde at all either. She seems very uppity on the show.
At least Frank has some artistic ability and can draw and paint his own designs. Vern has the same ability as well, but just a different style.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Trading Spaces, my guilty pleasure. :)
Gena is my fav (thong episode as well :emoji_thumbsup: ), I prefer her outdoorsy designs. I would then follow up with Vern and Doug. Frank is OK and so is Hilde. I am just glad that one woman isn't on anymore, the one with the glasses, she just destroyed rooms.
I like Amy Wynn more than Ty, but Ty is funny. Ty seemed to have a problem with measurment last season. Every episode he seemed to screw up the measurements. I also prefer Alex over Paige. Paige is cute, but she is no Alex McCloud.
-Dean-

Kelly W

Second Unit
I can't believe Doug isn't as hated here as he is in our house. We haven't liked any room he's done. Every single room he does is brown! I have seen no exception to this. He has no respect for the homeowner's wishes, and comes across as a royal egotistical jerk!
As a general rule, all of the other designers are pretty good (yes, even Frank). Hilde is the only other one that I would dread having come in my house after she covered that family room with straw. Ugh! The pains they must have gone through to remove it after she left. :)
-Kelly

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've actually seen Frank design good rooms - when he's doing it for the right people. His design sense does work well for a small subset of America. Not mine mind you.

I'd want Vern, or the red head - who's name I should know by now.

I'm not a huge TS fan, but I get roped in with my partner who has to watch at least 2 hours a week on Saturdays. Luckily I'm not home when they run them in the afternoons.

I would go on the show though. So long as I could pick between my two preferred designers. The others scare me too much.

Bryan Jones

Auditioning
"I mean, have ANY of his designs turned out to be something you would live in?"

It depends on which room. For a bedroom or living room or home theater room I would want Vern to do it. For my daughters bedroom or playroom, Frank would be perfect. Believe it or not, people have different tastes.

Great show though....Don't like Doug. Not because of his designs but because he doesn't listen.

Archie

Auditioning
Gee..you don't like someone's vision so obviously he must be stopped because your decorating vision must be so much better. Just because you are not fond of Frank's style there are a lot of people who are. The whole purpose of the show is to allow people to see different decorating styles. You might come across something you never thought of doing before.

So like it or not you are going to love or hate a design that is done, that's the joy of the show.

BrettK

Agent

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Yeah, for a kid's room, Frank might be ok. I just can't comprehend an adult who would be into it. Doug is a jerk! He gets so pissy when his team members don't want to do something he has designed (the fight over the painted firepace bricks comes to mind). I like a lot of his rooms, though except the ones that look to much like a stage set (the Pullman car room, for example). And they're all too fond of removing ceiing fans. Here in the south, that just doesn't fly.

I only mentioned Hilde as a possible must-have because she did my favorite room on the show (the "beach" bedroom with grasses and a mirror on one side, a long curtain on the other, and an amazing wood bed in the middle). She is too fond of wanting to paint fabrics, though. Just try to tell me that her team didn't sabotage the pink painted couches in the middle of the night! Vern would be the safest bet overall- he's such a perfectionist that I would be confident he woudn't totally screw it up.

Paige is a cutie, but her hair bugs me. It reminds me of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" but instead of your body, they take your hair. I mean that short flip 'do is EVERYWHERE these days. Alex seemed pretty cool- what happened to her?

And Dean, yeah it's probably for the best that the designer with the glasses is long gone, but it did lead to the funniest reveal EVER. Usually even when people don't like their new room, they're polite, but the couple who got the hand sculptures on the fireplace mantle just TRASHED her efforts "it like Beetlejuice lives here- the only pillows that match are the ugly ones!" ect. Hee-hee!

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Oh and Archie, my design vision IS much better, and no, I'm not going to actually physically stop him or get him removed from the show. That's just a phrase, ok?

But come on! Like the time he was designing for the African-American couple, so of course he feels compelled to do zebra prints and tribal shields on the wall, then can't tell that the guy he worked with all day before has been replaced by the guy's brother as a joke. A bit racist, perhaps?

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I like some of Frank's work. Of all the designers, I would have to stay away from Hilde. I dont know what she is thinking sometimes. Did you see the episode with the red and white "fantasy hotel suite" type of bedroom with the fuzzy pillows....YEEEUKKK!!!

My favorite room was one of Laurie's rooms. It was a kitchen where she made some really nice dish display cases.

I missed the "thong" episode.

-ikiru

Michael Vasquez

Auditioning
I would love to see a mini-marathon of the trading spaces episodes from hell. The godawful moss on the wall one, the one with the dress patterns on the wall, the one where Hildi's design made the woman cry because she hated it so much, etc. That straw room mentioned above will have to be in there too.
I find myself liking Vern and Genevieve's stuff in general (except the moss thing). Doug's stuff has been consistently ugly and unlivable, with Hildi not too far behind. I wouldn't let either one of them anywhere near my house (although Gen and Amy are always welcome ;)). Frank's designs are probably okay if you are a twelve year old girl or a grandmother who is into crafts and pastels, but I can't imagine anyone else liking it.
The anti-ceiling fan bias has been noted, but have you noticed that TV's and Stereo equipment also frequently disappear? ...and not just into cabinets, some of it just never comes back to the room. What world to these designers live in?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks