What's new

trading leased vehicle for another ? (1 Viewer)

BradK

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if you can trade vehicles in the middle of a lease?
Example. I got into a 4 year lease back in December with a '03 Dakota. Things have changed a bit since then and now we have no use for a pickup and would like to get a car. I wonder if chrysler would let you keep the current lease, but let you trade vehicles? Would they care as long as you're tied into that 4 years with one of they're products? Payment would change one way or another perhaps, but wonder if its even possible? Anyone have experience with this?

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Sure, no problem. But it will cost you.

You are responsible for the remainder of all your lease payments. So for example you pay $300/month, and you have 2 years left = you owe $7200. In addition to that, you must pay off the residual of the lease. On a Dakota, that's what, around $10-12K? So now you owe around $18k if you wanted to trade it in. You have about .01% chance that you will be offered more for your Dakota than you owe, so expect to pay to get rid of it.

I've done this before on a leased S10 4x4. I actually found a private buyer (willing to pay more than I was offered at a dealer), and I still had to pay about 1500 in the end.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
IF this was 3 years into a lease you may have enough equity in the vehicle that it wont hurt you bad.

I've been told when I bought my NEW:) civic after around 2 years of my lease I'll actually break even if I were to trade it in.

Nice to have a car that doesn't devalue very fast:)

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks