What's new

traded SCD 775 for SCD 555es (1 Viewer)

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
I just placed my order with JandR for the '555es. Got it for $569.99 shipped. I think thats a pretty good price.

This will be replacing my 775 which I will return.

Did I make the right decision? Will I really see that much of a difference in sound quality? I hope so as I really exceeded my budget on this one!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, you got a good deal on the 'C555ES. J&R has generally been selling it for $600 plus shipping, so you made out very well. Did they quote you $570 right away or did you haggle? Just curious.

The 'C555ES is a significantly better player than the 'CE775, so I am betting that you will hear the difference. Can you list your system? Obviously the rest of your system will have a bearing on your ability to differentiate between the two players. Is there any chance that you can hold onto the 'CE775 until the 'C555ES arrives in order to do a head-to-head comparison? That way, if you don't hear a difference between the two players for some reason, you can return the 'C555ES and save $570. On the other hand, and I feel this is the more likely scenario, the comparison may make you appreciate just how good the 'C555ES is.

Let us know how the 'C555ES works out.

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
The price they quoted me was $599.00 He said he could go down to $550 and I asked if he could do $500.00, he said no. After a few minutes he said he could do $535.00 and I took it since lowest I've seen it anywhere else is $600.

As far as my equipment...

Denon 3200 Reciever

Sunfire Cinema Grand amp

Paradigm Monitor 60

Parigim Reference Center

Paradigm Atom Surrounds

Paradigm 2200 Sub

Millenium DTS Decoder

Speakers are biamp using Monster 12 gauge speaker wire.

The SACD signal will be passed from the 6 channel outs through the 6 channel ins on the Millenium Decoder.

I will try to do a comparison of the two players.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I think you will be able to hear the difference between the 'CE775 and 'C555ES given your system. You have good speakers and a quality receiver there. You might want to try the stereo analog inputs on the 'C555ES for CDs and SACDs and compare the sound quality to the front left and right jacks on the 5.1-channel inputs.

Does your receiver have analog bypass? As an older model, I am thinking that it might not. If it doesn't, then analog signals will be routed through the receivers A/D and D/A converters, meaning that you will lose resolution, especially on SACDs. In this process, the high-resolution signals will be converted to PCM by the A/D converter.

Jeff PB

Agent
Wow that is a good price, I ordered mine today from Oade for $600 total and they would not come down a dime. But they shipped it quick and it should be here Thursday.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I think you'll be happy with the upgrade.

I don't know if you are like me, but I had the 222ES(I was very pleased with it)and it was nagging in the back of my mind that I didn't have the better isolation of the transport and better output stage that the 555 offered. I jumped on the upgrade when the price drop occurred.

Just out of curiosity how do you have your Cinema Grand wired? Are you using the current source outputs for the tweeter or are you biwiring to the voltage source outputs?

DJ

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
David:
I use the two separte channels of amplifcation for each speaker. Can't remeber exactly how I have it wired, and if you saw the rat's nest of wires behind my system you'd understand why I can't look to see what it is!
I did this becuase the Denon 3200 only has preouts for left, center and right. So I use the internal amp of the Denon to drive the rears and the four channels of amplification to drive the fronts. The other is dedicated to the center. It sucks that the Denon doesn't have the preouts for all 6 channels. :thumbsdown:
I was left with an extra two channels of amplification so I figured I might as well Biamp.
IIRC Biwiring would be if I had two sets of wires cominng of the same set of speaker clips?
Keith:
I don't think the Denon has an analog bypass.
Its certainly time for an upgrade to a good quality preamp, and better surround speakers. I want to get a lexicon MC-1, which is about $3,000 bucks and paradigm mini-monitors. I don't have the cash for either right now, so I'm stuck with the Denon and the puny Atoms. Those are my two weakpoints.
All things considered, my system sound really great the way it is. The sunfire makes a HUGE difference in sound quality. It is simply amazing.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike said:

I don't think the Denon has an analog bypass.
O.K. You might consider upgrading to a new receiver to get analog bypass to really hear the improvements with SACD. It doesn't have to be the Lexicon pre/pro. If you like Denon, consider something like the AVR-2802 or '3802. Still, you have a very nice system as is.

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
Hrm...

Now that I think about it. I'm using the 6 channel input. It would seem to me that this would bypass all other digital processing?? I also use this setting for DTS.

How would I find out about such a thing? I guess I could dig out the manual if I can find it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I realized after my last post that I should have been more clear. The 5.1-channel inputs should offer analog bypass by default. Otherwise, what would be the point of using an outboard DTS decoder? I was referring to the stereo analog output, as in an earlier reply in this thread, I suggested that you try the stereo analog outputs on the 'C555ES for CDs and stereo SACDs. It would not surprise me if your receiver did not offer analog bypass for the stereo analog inputs since it is a few years old, but check the manual.

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I just checked...I don't think I've got that analog bypass. Damn, I wish I had the csh for that lexicon.
My finacee will never let me spend that kind of coin once we are married. :frowning:
That's why I'm buying as much as I can before we move in together!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike said:
My finacee will never let me spend that kind of coin once we are married.
That's why I'm buying as much as I can before we move in together!
I am not engaged, but I have a significant other that I see taking the plunge with, so I can relate. My colleagues who are married tell me to buy my toys while I am single. Actually, my girlfriend is incredibly supportive of this hobby/addiction. :)

The 5.1 inputs on the AVR-3200 should indeed be direct, so Keith are you saying that the C555es won't play redbook CDs through the 6-channel analog outputs?

I have a very simialar setup to Mike's (Denon 3200, but driving an Adcom 555 amp for the front L/R), and had assumed that I could play any combination of redbook CDs or SACDs through the 6-channel output on the 555es (using the 5.1 channel input on the Denon). If redbook CD does indeed get passed through the 6-channel outputs, does the 555es provide bass management for redbook CD? (I seem to remember someone saying that it didn't).

Thanks.

Craig

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, you can use the 5.1-channel outputs on the 'C555ES for CDs. Bass management only works for SACDs.

Mike-

I own the 555ES and it is an outstanding unit. Audio and BQ is first rate IMHO. You will be happy with it.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks