What's new

Trade Onkyo TX-SR600 for 989 (1 Viewer)

AdamM

Grip
I just purchased an Onkyo TX-SR600. I'm happy with the receiver but as a bargan hunter I was looking for a better deal before my time to return or get a price adjustment ran out. I came across a mint Onkyo 989 ver.2 for $1300 this seems like a really good deal. I haven't seen it yet but is this something I should look into or just be happy with what I have. I'm going to have a hard time convincing my wife of the $800 price difference.
What do you think?

Thanks

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

Is it more power or more features that you desire? Unfortunately, the '600' doesn't have pre-outs, so an additional external amplifier can't be connected.

AdamM

Grip
I like the idea of the Pre outs, and more power. Plus it has better bass management then the SR600. The amp is used, vs. the SR600 being brand new with warrenty.

My question would be is it worth the money. I have all Polk Audio speakers. RTi70's front, CSi40 center, RT38's rear, and a PSW404 sub. Will I notice a big difference? The 989 being the flagship of the Onkyo line may just be overkill for my setup...

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Integra 9.1(upgraded) same as the 989.
First the power-the 989/9.1 is one of the few that comes close to meeting their power outputs specs they say 130 watts x7,with all channels driven-126 watts(per Sound and Vision).The specs for the 600 is like 38 watts per channel with all Channels driven and under-powering Speakers will damage your speakers more then over powering them(which you won't with the 989)and with more power you get a nicer,cleaner sound.
Second the Cust.Service-Onkyo is one of the only companies that promised upgrades and gave us upgrades(2 so far,one for each year)B&K and Denon came out with their Flagship products(B&K 30,Denon 5800) at the same time 2 years ago and promised upgrades and never Delivered(Denon did earlier this year at a $800.00 charge.
Third the Features-This is built for the future,from Component switching(3 inputs say HDTV,DVD and a extra for whatever)to different Sound formats that are not here yet(part of the last Hardware upgrade was to get it ready for next years software upgrade-maybe height channel?)
Lastly it just sounds so good,get on Yahoo and punch in Onkyo 989/Integra 9.1 reviews and read them,not one bad one(except for the joke ones on Audio Review)and $1400.00 for this is a great deal since i paid $2500.00 for it and $350.00 in upgrades it is a deal.
Now the Wife factor:
me:"Wow this sounds a lot better then that old Sony"
Wife"Sounds the same to me"
me:Wow this looks better in High Def"
Wife:"Looks a little Clearer"
me:This SVS Sub is really neat"
Wife"it's too tall,can't you get something smaller to fit under a end table"
All really said and a lot more in our 16 years together about this damn hobby of mine. ;)

DanaA

Screenwriter
The 989 is a great receiver. Just make sure that the problems with things like clicking and dropouts have been remedied on this particular one, unless you don't mind living with them. I'll post a link below so that you can read up on it. That said, I'd personally jump right on the deal. If I didn't, I'd always be wondering in the back of my mind what might have been. Bruce is exactly right. This Onkyo actually has a real power supply, not just one that appears on specs. And yes, those preouts might come in handy one day. As for the significant other, if and when she says "no", I'd get silent, a little teary eyed, and say, "yes dear, you know you're probably right. It was just a dream of mine. But, I'll leave it up to you." She'll probably crumble in no time at all. ;) In truth, I'll bet she's sensational and will be willing to allow this one indulgence.
Here's your link

AdamM

Grip
:) The $2,000 in Polk speakers was a Christmas present. So I'm pushing my luck at this point.

AdamM

Grip
Well the 989's S/N was scratched the back. I'll just keep my little SR600. Thanks for the input though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks