What's new

Trade in value/price differrence 3802/5803 (1 Viewer)

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,
I have an opportunity to trade in my 3802 on a 5803. How much extra do you think I should be paying for the 5803. The store with the 5803 is not the one I bought the 3802 from. Canadian response preferred, but not essential.:)
Thanks,
Aaron

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Aaron, I don't know about Canadian, but if it's proportionate and comparable to US dollars in difference, I'd put the money into a power amp or amps instead and keep using the 3802 as a pre/pro for now. Then later on down the line get a decent dedicated pre/pro. The 5803 may be nice for a receiver, but I'm sure that seperates would be even better for the same or even less money.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Aaron,
The 3803 list is about 300% higher than the 3802. I think a good deal (local retail) would be (US dollars) about $3,000 to $3,300 additional dollars.
Take a very close look at AaronG's reply ;) You will notice imediate improvement for much less "jack". However I would reccomend no less than 150 WPC as the 3802 (I think) is 110 WPC and you will need a good 50% more to tell a great difference.
I will say that I will be getting the 5803 as a trade up from an Onkyo TX DS 797 (about the same thing as the 3802) that I have used external amplification with (150WPC x 5). However I do want the better, and more, DAC's that the 5803 offers. I also want to redue the required space that seperates demand. Obviously seperates are better.

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark, that's definitely an option.
Does anyone have some dollar figures?

Yogi

Screenwriter
Agree with Mark. I'd just go with a separate power amp addition rather than buy the 5803. The 3802 is an excellent prepro and you should notice a good amount of improvement. Later on add a separate prepro.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
A 3802 unfortunately isn't worth more than $600-700 used. Your dealer will probably try to work from retail and offer something like $1000 US off the 5803 list. Any way you cut it the best you can possibly do is $3K US minus what you can get for your 3802.

I'd take a hard look at the Rotel 1055 receiver and the Anthem AVM20 pre/pro if you've got a 5 channel amp already. Another possibility is that you get a 5 channel amp now as Yogi had mentioned and get a pre/pro later. It's not really all about the watts. A Parasound 805 or H/K 5800 80Wx5 will be better than your 110Wx5 Denon.

The other question is, are your speakers up to the same level as the rest of your system will be. It may be mored effective to upgrade your speakers for instance if they're entry level HTIB, etc.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
True on the watts, however, Denon is pretty clean power unlike others that "fib". The key to the watts is having enough to keep the power down to get the desired DB with minimal "clipping".
I have two amps. One is 100 watt Carver and the other is a 150 Watt AMC. The internal amps on my Onkyo "have 100 WPC;). While the 100 watt Carver was an improvement I could not tell a huge difference until I went to the 150 watt AMC. ow I keep the volume at about 50% power for referance level movies which inturn keeps distortion down as well as offers a cooler operation. Also plenty of spare power for those "peaks" in a movie.;)
Take a look at [URL=http://www.geocities.com/area51/hollow/3401/ratvsac.htm
for reciever power. It looks as if Denon typically overstates their power by about 15%.

kevitra

Second Unit
Phil - that link didn't work. Can you put up the correct one? I'd like to see that list.

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,

There is more to the story. I realise that at normal retail prices, separates would be the way to go, but I'm hoping to get a really good deal on the 5803. The 5803 is a trade in, and the store that has it owes me a big favor because the seats I ordered from them will be six weeks late. So I'm wondering how much above the 3802 I'll have to pay if I trade it in. What do you guys think is fair.

Thanks

Yogi

Screenwriter
Not more than 1K (or maybe 1.5K) and tell them they can keep the %*# remote.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
With the 3802 trade I'd shoot for $1500 US assuming this is from an authorized Denon dealer and you get the Denon warranty and the right to future upgrades from Denon on this model. This is very important IMO.

So doing the math:
$1500 + $700 = $2200 used + pain and suffering?

They seem to be going for around $2500 on ebay and saw an offer for one at $2200.

Good luck.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
No way I think they will take 1K, but how big was the seat order and can you use cancellation as a bargaining chip ;)

Yogi

Screenwriter
the right to future upgrades from Denon on this model
Even if you upgrade it in the future its not going to be the same as the next model. Like the 5800+upgrade does not equal the 5803. Denon will make sure of that. No manufacturer will give you the full upgrade atleast not the mass manufacturers that want you to buy the latest and the greatest. So I'd still say that dump the idea and buy a separate 5 ch amp with the upgrade cost and later on down the road you can get a standalone prepro and play with the big boys. If you buy the 5803 now you will upgrade next to a separate prepro anyway (assuming you wont go laterally to another Flagship) and then will have to buy the amp to go along with it. I know the lure of owning a flagship, but believe me it will fade away soon and you will be out in the market again. So just skip this step and go to the next step straight.

Best of luck

Gil D

Supporting Actor
The 5803 qualifies in the separates catagory as the recent reviews confirm. The price seems to be competetive so I can't recommend against it in this case.

I have the 3802 and picked up the 5800 to replace it and even considering upgrading it to the 5803 audio. The only thing that might tempt me would be the Anthem or a Lex MC12.

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys!
By the way, the seat order is for about $3200 and cancellation is a definite bargaining chip.

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks