Trade in Bagend Infra-18 for Paradigm Servo-15.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Jun 28, 2002.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Will I be making a mistake if I trade my Bagend sub for the Paradigm Servo-15 or a Mirage BPS-400? It won't be practical for me to do an in home comparison so I am looking for members thoughts. I paid $1400 a year ago for the Bagend (store demo).The Paradigm and Mirage are both selling for $1400 new here in Canada. The only thing I know is that the Bagend does not play as loud as some others.

2. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I have a Bag End and love it.
    Blends seamlessly with front speakers.
    Personally, I think you would be making a big mistake, Bag End makes some very well designed and executed subs. Who care if a sub can hit 20 Hz at 120dB or whatever. Who listens at an spl of 120dB?

Read the reviews at Widescreen Review Subwoofer Edition, Secrets of Home HT & Hi-Fi, A/V Interiors, Soundstage, and Sensible sound if you need more opinions.

My only complaint with the Bag End would be the lack of connection and crossover choices, but this can be overcome very easily.

There are some other subs made that I would take over a Bag End, but they cost a whole lot more. The Paradigm and Mirage are not two of these other desired subs.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I think the 400 will sound a lot like the Infra. The servo15 will give you a more tactile impression on the deep stuff.

The point about 120/20hz is a good one. But what about a clean 115/20hz or 110/20hz or 105/20hz or 100/20hz? When does the lack of clean output in the deepest frequencies become important? I guess each person has to decide for themselves how much of the audio they are willing to do without on some of the bassy DVDs out there.

TV

4. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

From what I've read, the Bagend should have a higher SPL than the Servo-15, but I own a Servo-15 and its extension/SPL is very good to me. I don't see myself needing any more, but my room isn't the largest in the world.

5. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I also agree that a good sub should present that tactile response that Tom refered to. Movie soundtracks are produced with some very low bass these days. Don't get me wrong I like the Infra, espically with music, but you don't get that slam in your chest that some describe.
    Scott, do you hook up the Infra as reccomended by Bagend by using pre-out to the sub then line out of the sub to your amplifier? I have not tried this as I am concerned the 95Hz ELF filter will be too high for movies and tend to localize the sub. If hooked up this way I could use a second dedicated sub just for the LFE channel through the sub-out connection on my processor and all other freq below 95hz would go to the Infra.
    Glad to see there are other Bagend owners on the forum.
    [​IMG]

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I've listened to both and (IMO) the Servo is significantly more musical at higher SPLs. It also has deeper bass extension. I feel the swap will be an improvement. Have you listened to the subs in question?

7. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Well I haven't, I've only heard the Servo 15 since I own one, and I'm extremely satisfied with it. Haven't heard the BagEnd, but based on Tom Nuosaine's(sp?) figures the Infra-15 or Infra-18 seems to beat the Servo-15 in SPL IIRC.

8. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

the review of TN if i can remember is sometime in 1996 or 97? the servo15 had a major driver upgrade in the late 90's (got this info from AVS guest forum) so the performance of the newer made subs are much better.

9. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Ariel, you mean the Servo-15a?

10. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

i am not sure if it is the servo15a but according to paradigm, the driver update was in the late 90's. the surround for the driver was increased from 5/8" to 1" allowing for a greater excursion.

11. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Should be the servo-15a then. I was under the impression that it was a minor update. All Servo-15's are 15a's now.