What's new

Track the Films You Watch (2008) (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

LOL! :D Right you are, Dave. I know it's absurd that I even entertain Michael's interrogations, but we go back a long way, so I take the bait now and then. He fancies himself as the purveyor of all that's right in film etiquette, and I let him have his dream.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia

I, myself like a variety of movies. I use to read certain critics before choosing but I haven't done that in a long time preferring to have my own opinion on what I want to see. I think there are many many worthwhile modern movies and for a long time that's all I would watch not having access to the classics. But you're right, you have to take your family into account and they're not exactly thrilled with the classics. I watch those mostly when alone. Since my husband works and I've been temporarily disabled, I've been able to fit in quite a few. That will change drastically when I get back to work. I so disagree with you about Amadeus. I thought it was a brilliant film due chiefly to F. Murray Abraham's performance. But I'm with you in your opinion of Gone with the Wind. In fact I've given it a lower rating than you. I know it's a treasured classic of many, but I hated it years ago when I first saw it and I'm of the same opinion still.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm glad you're doing this - great! I can't believe you've already managed to enter over 200 films. In the long run, more people will see what you've written when they want to look up opinions of various films at the database. Mike, I'm going to send you an email regarding something you asked me about recently ...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Beautiful looking film, but a tepid soap opera with a main woman I just didn't want to know or waste so much time with.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

In my opinion, Dave's reviews are among the most literate here...but, yes, I agree that overall there isn't enough "discussion" and more "jotting down of notes" going on in this thread. Admittedly, it's hard to keep up with what everyone's watching which is why (I guess) we each pick up our "favorite" members and stick to them. However, even if I'm on his "Ignore" list, George Kaplan is always good for a laugh and I wouldn't miss his posts for the world!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I don't see movies like those two comedies to restore my faith in modern cinema either; but to have fun and enjoy a funny movie with my wife, absolutely. I know you've expressed your frustrations with the female situtation in your neck of the woods, but I'd hoped after my repeating this several times already that this was clear by now.

Even if I do choose such a film just for myself, so what? This takes us right back to the "it's always gotta be a classic high-brow award winner" thing again. There is room for all. It's just that you and Mike get so perturbed that others don't do it as you think they should, or as you would. Frankly, this is precisely the type of snobbery that turns a lot of people off to films and film discussion, and that's a shame.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

The :) was there for a reason, pal: I was also pulling your leg on those two particular choices which personally don't appeal to me AT ALL - as I've already stated above in connection to contemporary romantic comedies.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Mario, I tend to use the :) thing too, but I'm trying to use it less. Because many others on message boards have pointed out - and accurately so in many cases - that people are not always being genuine when they use them. It's like sticking a knife in someone and then kissing them on the cheek. You, my friend, tend to use the smiley faces more than anyone I have ever encountered on various message boards over the years!

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

So "sarcasm" is a crime now - outlawed by the P.M.C.O.F.F. (Prevention of Mental Cruelty from Online Film Forums)?

To get back to something you said earlier about putting people off of film discussions: personally, what puts me off more than anything else is when people consistently watch movies which are of no interest to me. It's that simple. How am I supposed to carry on a lively, stimulating and enlightening conversation with somebody who thinks Robin Williams' muscular mugging or Chris Rock's motormouth monologues are funny? Before you get all steamed up, I don't mean you; I just happened to use your examples.

See, managed it: an entire post (albeit a short one) without smileys.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I understand what you meant. It may further baffle you that I can't stand Robin Williams as a comedian (I prefer him in the dramatic films) but I liked the concept of him as a reverend in LICENSE TO WED. As for Chris Rock, I do love when he gets on a tirade, but unfortunately this was NOT what he brought to his disappointing new film.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

If you stick with movies like THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955), you can't go far wrong! I'm joking again but the crux of the matter is that, if you end up hating it, you can't expect me to sigh in resignation and not counter your opinion. Would you really want me to do that? The sad fact is that, instead of debating the merits of this or that film, all we've been doing for the longest time now is contesting your viewing habits...which is far from the same thing, less than ideal and nothing short of futile.

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Hee hee! Good here innit?

"Big Jake"

Classic Wayne!
Violent, brutal but packed with sly and caustic humour that's laugh out loud at times.
Plus we have some great characters/relationships a top cast of support players and some fine action.
Some dodgy indoor for outdoor sets, but overall this is well made and fantastic entertainment.

And a Father hitting his sons has never been this amusing!
Essential Western viewing.

"Impulse"

Meg Tilly returns home after her Mother shoots herself.
As Mum lies in a coma, Tilly and her boyfriend, Tim Matheson, notice that the townsfolk are acting very strange. They seem to be acting on their most anti-social, dark and deadly impulses with not a care for the consequences....

Very good, well acted little horror/sci-fi thriller with a nice support cast (including Hume Cronyn, John Karlen and a young Bill Paxton) for Tilly and Matheson to play off, and an interesting set-up.
With a film like this the set-pieces are vital and this has some memorable moments of the respectable townsfolk going nuts;
Old men pissing in the street, old women grabbing money from the bank, the Sheriff taking an automatic rifle to kids who commit the most petty of mis-deeds, people screwing in public, kids setting fire to things and a Vicar swearing like a trooper!

It's all played deadly serious as well which is nice to see. It's a dark, bleak but entertaining little movie and deserves a higher profile.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

I've never understood your reluctance to be "prodded" (a favorite word of yours); it's not that you'll be doing anyone of us a favor by concentaring on the "great" stuff or whatever. It's you who'll be watching after all, you'll who'll be entertained or satisfied or bored by it. What more prodding do you need to go watch NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN now (as opposed to later) other than the sheer fact that it has just been named the Best Film of 2007? For the record, a local friend of mine has just e-mailed me about his having just watched it and I'll be sending him my HTF review later on today. Do you think I'm "showing off" by sending him my review given that he only wrote three lines about it in his e-mail (he's an award-winning songwriter himself, by the way)? I certainly don't...

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia

I almost hate to interrupt this fascinating back and forth with a review.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Good Lord, did some writing contest break out?

I plead guilty to baiting Joe in. I'm guilty, shoot me. Joe and I have known one another for many years so I hope no one sees out little chats as a mean or bad thing. Just a way to keep each other on our toes.

I've often disagreed with the elitist or "crown" thing Joe as mentioned but it really doesn't matter. God knows if it weren't for my insomnia then I wouldn't be spending time with many of the "B" and "C" movies I watch on TCM or buy from collectors. However, after you've been awake for 20 hours and it's four in the morning, you certainly want to watch a "C" movie over THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

I hope I'm not predictable when it comes to my reviews. For the most part I think most films live up to their reputation but I think the real fun thing in movie watching isn't discovering that MODERN TIMES is a great movie but instead you discover a new gem that no one has really talked about. You find a new gem and then pass it around to your friends or thread readers and get the film a small cult following. A few years ago I tracked down a rare copy of THE VAMPIRE'S COFFIN and mailed it to around 10-15 people. Everyone enjoyed it and several called it one of the better horror films from that era.

Yes, it would be fun to get someone to watch THE GENERAL but it's more fun in watching stuff that isn't reviewed anywhere and discovering a new gem. These gems out of no where is the main reason I record these smaller, less known movies and that's why I buy them. Sure, a lot of times you get crap but sometimes you find gold. As I said earlier, this morning I finished my 100th Jess Franco film. The majority of his work is shit but there are some great ones. I look forward to tracking down his 80 other films and hopefully finding a gem or two. The same with Griffith who I've seen over 100 films from. Yes, everyone is going to watch BIRTH, BB or INTOLERANCE but it's fun being able to find something rare and unwatched and send it around for others to enjoy.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Well, that is true... it's great to find a good movie that not many discuss and which you can pass on to others (see Rock Hudson in SECONDS (1966) ). Of course, in the case of great or Oscar-winning classics, it's not quite as much of a "surprise" when they're good, though. And I too have found that most great or good films do live up to their reputations. Most of them are rated well for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks