TR Research vs KLH vs FLUANCE

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve Adams, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

OK,

I know that theater research are the infamous white van speakers, but they are DIRT CHEAP on ebay. now how do they compare sonically to the likes of other cheap brands like KLH, or Fluance. Like I can get a set for like 150 bucks or so...now, these are not for my Theater, but just for my living room for some sound, and the rec room....bed room, and bathrooms......Im very curious about the sound of these speakers, not wether or not they are a rip off, light or any crap like that.....just anyone who actually heard these speakers.....

thanks.

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

3. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

i don't know if i would call fluance cheap. maybe the price but not the quality. they are very good speakers holding me off till i upgrade to b&w 602. great speakers

4. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

well that's what I mean, price wise....I know fluance is an awsome speaker....

5. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Fluance has plenty of design shortcomings when you look at their SV-10 floorstander with the side-firing woofer crossed in at 800 Hz where you can clearly hear that the sound is coming from the side firing woofer and not the front-firing drivers. A crossover below 250 Hz would be a lot more appropriate.

6. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave

I agree that there are shortcomings, but at least you know that up front. With white van speakers, you have no idea what is in them.

My advice, stick reputable company.

7. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave

I agree that there are shortcomings, but at least you know that up front. With white van speakers, you have no idea what is in them.

My advice, stick reputable company.

8. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Does anyone have or has anyone listen to these white van's? I know a couple of people bought them on this site for curiousity sake.....hopefully someone will step up with some impressions....

9. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Does anyone have or has anyone listen to these white van's? I know a couple of people bought them on this site for curiousity sake.....hopefully someone will step up with some impressions....

10. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

You are much better off with Fluance than white van speakers, or KLHs. Good speakers for the $$.

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

You are much better off with Fluance than white van speakers, or KLHs. Good speakers for the $$.

12. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

I own the Fluance SX-HTB set, and the fronts do not have a subwoofer. They are only a 2-way speaker, so I would say it does not have the short comings Rory is talking about. I have been and still am extremely satisfied with my purchase. I would suggest adding a subwoofer to the set, but other then that they are everything I was hoping they would be. Plus more.

Marc

13. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

I own the Fluance SX-HTB set, and the fronts do not have a subwoofer. They are only a 2-way speaker, so I would say it does not have the short comings Rory is talking about. I have been and still am extremely satisfied with my purchase. I would suggest adding a subwoofer to the set, but other then that they are everything I was hoping they would be. Plus more.

Marc