TPM - sound track LD vs. DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

2. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I have both but haven't compared them yet. I did read that the DVD has DIALNORM (-27) where as the LD does not (-31).

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The overall level is indeed lower on the DVD. The LD was set at a very high level. I run my Denon with Dialogue Norm turned off and even then the DVD seemed a bit low compared to other titles. That's not something I concerned about, just a point to note.
    The bass isn't as aggressive on the DVD, but then I always though the LD LFE was overcooked. It was the only title I ever had to make LFE level adjustments for (drop by 4db to make it sound right).
    [Edited last by Rob Gillespie on October 09, 2001 at 09:16 AM]

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I don't have the LD, but after reading all the comments on how LOUD it is, I was concerned that this soundtrack would be all volume and no detail. I needn't have been. The DVD's soundtrack is one of the most detailed and immersive I have ever heard in a home theater. Its bass and overall volume are on a par with other loud action movies in my collection, and I played it at the same level. But there's so much happening in the soundfield at any one time that it's like a whole new experience.
    No, it didn't lift me out of my seat with boom and bombast, but it substantially added to the reality of this imagined other world. Very impressive.
    M.

5. Ernest_T

Ernest_T Extra

I have just gotten my TPM DVD. I have not watch the whole movie on the DVD yet but went through a few scenes to compare it with the LD soundtrack and I agree with Rob, it is at a lower level compared to the LD. I love bass and thus is a bit disappointed with the DVD on this point.

6. Jason_S

Jason_S Stunt Coordinator

I have the LaserDisc (and an HLD-X9 LD player) but have not yet received the DVD. I am also eager to test any differences, so I will post my findings later.

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

As I've said in another thread, I disliked having to tinker with my set up in order to get TPM DVD sounding as good as I'd hoped it would at first spin. The LFE on the LD was too much, the LF on the DVD was too little (without tinkering).
    The LD was too bass heavy absolutely, I was required to turn the sub down a good few notches on the LD, and I have to with the DVD too, though for different reasons. I like to send some LFE to my mains, the volume levels I play at alow me to do so without damaging my speakers and I feel it gives a more even balance of LFE across my room given its size.
    With the same calibrated setting on my HT, the DVD takes to sending the vast majority of bass to the subwoofer, I no longer sense as much LFE going to my mains at all. A good scene example of this is when Obi and Qui Gon arive at the start on the trade ship, as the doors to the room close behind them on the LD you feel the weight of the doors, the close with a heavy "clunk." On the DVD I sensed nothing up front in this sequence and it's somewhat missed. Since so much of the LFE goes to the sub with the DVD now I am still required to turn the sub level down a few notches otherwise it sounds messy and not to my liking.
    Thats the only difference I feel in comparison of the DVD and the LD. Adjust the volume difference and the rest is great! The DVD presents just as expansive a sound field as the LD across all other channels, the activity in the surrounds shine, it's lovely.
    Dan (UK)

8. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

This does not sound good.
    I do not have the DVD yet.
    However, I have the LD and I think it is possibly the best sounding disc there is. It is my reference disc and I knew the DVD would no be able to compete with it.
    What gives?? The LFE channel on the LD is simply amazing and sometimes I think my house is falling apart because of it [​IMG]