TPM Reviews

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Massey, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    I remember reading a recent issue of Starburst, during the last 6 months, which included a retrospective review of The Phanton Menace. Can anyone remember which issue this was, and whether there are any links to the article somewhere.

2. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I have no idea, but since most reviewers are cowardly herd animals I can probably tell you what the review was like

Jake Lloyd is the flat out worst actor that ever lived, Haley Joel Osment should have gotten the part

Ewan Mcgregor was fantastic

Darth Maul and lightsaber battles were the best

politics are boring

Jar Jar is stupid and useless

George Lucas screwed up this time

The script is bad

the effects are good but look fake

Samuel L Jackson is great

and so on and so on

:p

3. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

[​IMG]
    I thought Jake Lloyd was not so great. The problem was I thought he should have been presented a little bit more powerful, especially during the space battle. Mostly, a lot of the silly lines that he had to do through the space battle should have been more serious rather than "let's spin. That's a good trick." However, I understood he was just a little boy, powerful or not. I thought they presented him perfectly in the podrace sequence.
    The character of Jar Jar didn't bother me so much. The constant goofs got a little tiresome. If he was a more serious character nobody would have even given it a second thought. Supposedly he has a limited, but much more regal and serious role in Episode II.
    Ewan was good. I also though Liam Neeson was good as well. Natalie Portman didn't have as much emotion as I would have expected, but maybe that was his intent. Whatever the case, I thought she was pretty good. Wasn't enough of Sam Jackson to tell one way or another. Yoda kicks ass no matter what. He could look kick ass even while munching on a turd.
    The effects were fantastic and I didn't think they looked fake at all. I thought they were photorealistic and exceptional. The podrace scene was stunningly done, with CGI blending perfectly with the live actors. The underwater city was also beautifuly done. Naboo as well. The space scenes were completely realistic.
    The story was fine. All we need to know is who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. Once we know that, we're good to go. I loved Episode I, although I still like the OT the most. I expect(and hope) AOTC will absolutely smoke TPM in all aspects. Now, I'm wonder if I'm part of the herd?[​IMG]
    That was funny though.

4. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Simon, I went to the STARBURST website and couldn't find an issue listed with a retrospective review of TPM. However here's a link to all of the issues published in 2001. Perhaps you'll be able to find it:
    http://www.visimag.com/backissues/stprevdis.htm
    I would actually like to read the review as well. Except for the stupid "fart" and "doo-doo" jokes I really enjoyed every aspect of THE PHANTOM MENACE.

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

6. Simon Massey

Simon Massey
    I think I have found the issue and I am going to try and get it and type up the review for you to see.

It was a retrospective review done some 2 months ago, and was highly complimentary of the film as a "Star Wars" film, while admitting it does have its flaws. It is largely a response to most of the criticisms that have been laid at the film, many of which have been repeated here, but the article was so in line with how I viewed the movie that I wanted to get hold of it.

This may take a while

7. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

I think he was just making a very generalized statement of people that didn't like the film. They all seem to dislike the exact same things. It seemed to me he only meant as a joke, and not a personal attack on critics. At least that's the way I took it. I give TPM 4 out of 5 stars, but that's just me. The flaws I saw in the film I listed above, but still thoroughly. But I'm a Star Wars whore, so what do I know.

8. Simon Massey

Simon Massey
    Larry

FYI, the issue you want is No 278 October 2001, with Ben Browder and Claudia Black on the front

9. Larry Sutliff

Thanks, Simon! I'll definitely get the mag, it sounds like a refreshing take on the film and not another hatchet job.

10. Simon Massey

Simon Massey
    Larry

Let me know what you think of the article when you get it

11. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I was watching me shiny Episode 1 DVD, and finally I realized what had ALWAYS been bugging me about Episode 1.

The entire thing reads like an Internet fanboy fanfic.

For example, opening seqence of the Nimodians doing everything in their power to keep the Jedi out, and talking back and forth about how it won't work (We will not survive this!) while Qui-Gon and Obi just slice their way through everything, yet never bother to use thier kewl force powers to do anything of use. "Master! Destroyer droids!" "Whatever, my young padawan. Just levitate the darn things, rotate them 180 degrees, walk up behind them, and slice the damn things open!"

Or Qui-Gon in general. Picture three nerds going back and forth in one's mothers basement.

"Yeah! And lets make the Jedi Master a real ass kicker!"

"Cool! He can, like, be all defiant of the Jedi Council, and they can't do anything about it!"

"Yeah yeah! And he could, like, sass the Queen, and cheat at gambling when his mind control doesn't work!"

Or poor Anikin.

"oooh! Oooh! I know! Lets make him, like, the Son of God! You know, all Immaculate Conception and stuff!"

"Yeah! And lets make it so that he built R2-D2 and 3P0, cuz they're cool!"

Don't get me wrong, I like the movie, but it really does, in my mind, read like an overzealous fanfic.

12. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Hmm, not sure I agree with that. These are droids. They should be easy to defeat for the Jedi. Only thing that nagged me was Jar Jar's tomfoolery and Jake Lloyd's annoying acting. Some of his dialogue during the space battle was nonsense as well. But I throughly enjoyed the movie. Surely being the first movie and the most anticipated movie of all time, as well as being a part of the greatest franchise in movie history was bound to have some problems. If we look at this rationally, this is the one movie of the three that was bound to have less human drama and emotion. It was obvious from the start that Episode II and II would be the movies that not only have the best story, but the most emotion and drama of the three.

Episode I had the weakest story from the start. I expect Episode II and Episode III to be far and away superior.

13. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I don't agree with that either

14. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Don't agree with what? Speak up and tell me what you don't agree with. I'm still trying to figure out if Todd disagreed with what I said or the topic?[​IMG]

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I liked TPM, but I do wish they would have left out those elements that catered to the kiddie crowd.

16. Danny Knapp

Danny Knapp Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to have to agree with Hubert on this one.
    Episode I was extremely annoying with Jar Jar doing everything wrong and Anakin just talking....Lucas could've found a better actor to play him. Plus the immaculate conception...where's he going with that??
    [​IMG]
    One other thing I could not understand was why Lucas identified what makes a Jedi a Jedi. The metachlorians (sp?). I can't believe he EXPLAINED why they have powers because of tiny creatures in their bodies...I really don't think that was absolutely necessary! Takes some of the mystery and intrigue out of the Jedi's.
    BTW, I LOVE this movie! These are my only complaints with the film. I do enjoy it very much and watch it often! [​IMG]

17. Anthony Lopez

Hey I don't agree with that either. [​IMG] Seriously though, something has always bugged me about Phantom Menace also, but I can't figure out what it is. I think it's because it's only an introduction, and the film doesn't stand up well on it's own. I think if a fan had control over the series it would have been a 2 hour lightsaber fight.

18. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

19. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

I think Danny and I share pretty much the same opinion. We really like TPM, regardless of it's problems. It's not a bad movie per se. But it's not the movie Star Wars fans quite wanted. Episode II and III should remedy that.

As for Jar Jar, I didn't have a problem with that character, only with the constant clumsiness and Jake Lloyd. If Jar Jar had of been portrayed as a regal, yet serious character, nobody would have had a problem with him. The big pluses of TPM are the effects, the political intrigue, Darth Maul, the battles, the podrace sequence, the duel of the fates battle, and the space battle was good with the juvenile dialogue being the exception there.

As for complicated dialogue, Star Wars has never been about that. It uses simple dialogue and tells a story through the characters as well as the visuals and the worlds surrounding them. Even so, it has never had the juvenile dialogue that was given to Jake Lloyd's character. But again, I realy enjoyed this movie.

20. Larry Sutliff

Here's another review of TPM that has a different perspective from most other reviews I've seen on the 'Net:
    http://www.lardbiscuit.com/lard/ilovetpm.html
    I really enjoyed the film and agree with most of what this reviewer has to say.