TPM error in Best Buy ad

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gavin K, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Gavin K

Gavin K Stunt Coordinator

Did anyone notice in this Sunday's flyer that the widescreen TV's which were advertised as letting you experience the whole movie had Episode 1 (2.35:1) completely filling up a 16x9 set (1.78:1).
    I don't expect the blueshirts to understand this, but you would think that at least someone at the home office would be somewhat educated. If only to avoid all of the complaints from ignorant customers who buy one of these sets, pop in TPM, and still see the black bars.
    I just don't understand this fear of DVD. Instead of playing up the positives and creating a satisfied, educated consumer base who will frequent their store and purchase DVDs for years to come, as well as probably continually upgrade their receivers, speakers, cables, etc., they seem to spread false information in order to placate the masses, thus creating a disgruntled consumer base, and lose sales of Receivers, DVDs, speakers, cables, etc.
    This is both amazing and disgusting to me.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They do this all the time, the ad company is handed a stock image, and is told to put it on all the TV screens. COmplain to the ads, not BB
    Jeff Kleist

3. Gavin K

Gavin K Stunt Coordinator

Why would I want to complain to the ads? If they are only given a stock image and not told how to properly represent it then isn't that the fault of the company buying the ad? If Best Buy doesn't care about falsifying information to sell their products then it is their fault.
    I'm not surprised to find out that this happens all of the time. I haven't been in the market for a TV in a while and didn't really pay much attention. But it still doesn't make it right. Complaining about this might sound petty, but in the battle for OAR I think every little thing ads up. And these ads are one more way of sending misinformation to an already uninformed consumer. And it needs to stop.

4. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

All stores do this in their flyers. Often times it's not even a real scene from a movie, just a picture that they'll use. When they put it in widescreen they usually just cut off the tops and bottoms of the image. They're not trying to properly show aspect ratio or anything, they're trying to sell TVs and advertise new DVD/VHS releases at the same time. They'd put fullscreen DVD releases in widescreen (Snow White) on a widescreen TV the same way. They're just simulated images. No big whoop.

5. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

What Luke said.
    In fact, you'll notice the "All images simulated" disclaimer somewhere on nearly every ad showing a picture on a television. This is to protect the advertiser from false-advertising claims since the actual TV picture quality is not as good as the photograph pasted onto the TV screen in the ad.
    Ryan

6. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

I saw in a home theater magazine once an ad for Macintosh high end home theater crap and they showed a picture of a FPTV with a 4:3 screen with a Star Wars movie playing on it panned and scanned there were no black bars. Then down at the bottom of the ad it said some bullshit like this theater is THX certified. Yeah right I think after the EE in the Phantom Menace DVD we all know now how worthless THX is.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

7. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Thats not half bad... take a look at the scanner advertisements. They have pictures "similated" on the glass... they are facing up away from the scanner!elements!! [​IMG]
    Can't let the little things bother you or you'll never make it through the day.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Dan M~
    My Small Collection