TPM : Best animated menus ever ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek Baker, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Derek Baker

Derek Baker Stunt Coordinator

Now having explored this dvd for a week now, i must comment on the amazing animated menus that Lucasfilm have put together.
    I don't think i've seen menus so detailed and original while still keeping the overall feel of the movie intact.
    Just another aspect of this dvd that has really raised the benchmark.

2. Jess E

Jess E Auditioning

Ditto!

3. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

I think the French DVD of IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE is just as good. They aren't as busy but they really catch the feel of the movie.
    Matt
    ------------------
    Honk Kong DVD Reviews and News
    loveandbullets.com

4. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Jess,
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the Forum.
    But be careful, you might want to slow down a bit. [​IMG] You don't want to use up all of your insightful comments on your first post. [​IMG] Again welcome...
    As for the menus of TPM, all I hope is that they are not too far overboard. I would hate for them to be too distracting.
    IMO, the best menus so far (even though the movie was poor) were for Mission Impossible 2
    Chad

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I absolutely love the menus to TPM. They are smartly done, there is a real theme going on there. They do give away a bit of the movie if someone has not yet watched the movie though. Very slick.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yes, they are pretty strong.
    Along the lines of great menus on recent releases let me suggest a better effort...Snow White. I would consider that menu effort to perhaps be the best ever.
    Good feel, but with construction that still allows for even newbie users to find their way to all the features.

7. Gilbert Galindo

Gilbert Galindo Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget the great menus for the Christopher Walken thriller, The Opportunist.

8. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

The menus for Snow White are awesome. The best thing about them: You can skip past them straight to a menu if you, like me, hate animated menus about 5 seconds after seeing that they're cool. (Seriously, are you going to just sit there and play with your animated menus for two hours? Or are you going to eventually watch the movie? [​IMG]) I sure hope they spent as much time doing quality control and testing as they did writing cool menus.
    Cool animated menus, IMHO, occupy a layer of Hell just a few blocks uptown from cool Easter Eggs.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

9. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

These menus are done very well. It's not quite like the Abyss in that you have to wait ten minutes for the next menu screen. It's what goes on in the background while you decide which option to use. Most of the transitional scenes only take a couple seconds.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I'm not an animated menu junkie, but I am fond of these one's yes, I think they're the best menus I've seen from Van Ling in terms of design. Very elegant menu transitions. They get the balance of not being too much and not being too little perfectly right.
    It's was innovative to have the menu locations change between Naboo, Tatooine and Coruscant. I must say my favorite of the choices is Tatooine.
    Having seen them at Dreamworks on last months HTF meet, I've got to say the Shrek menus will get a lot of deserved praise, so if you do hearald TPMs as the best, it may not be for long... [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)
    PS: Leave a lot of the menus on disc two of TPM idle for a minute or so, some cute surprises appear.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am drooling over Shrek. For all the talk about the new animation and menus, I fully expect them to be among the best yet.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

12. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Shrek will not disappoint. The menu's are entertaining in themselves!