TPM and the woes of parenthood :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

So, I'm real excited about getting TPM to enjoy the sonic experience that this movie has to offer. The only problem is that I have a 3 year old daughter! Its been a while since I saw TPM but I'm sure its not appropriate to watch with her in the room. And this is not a film I can watch late night with the volume at a modest level.
    Bummer!

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

just got mine today!!
    if I recal..the movie isnt that bad...Im sure it wouldnt be a problem for her to be in the room, just keep an eye out, because there are just a few parts that would be inappropriate for her, but shell probably be running around and not even paying attention!!
    I think this movie must be experienced Loudly!!!
    Good luck!!
    ------------------
    - Jason
    My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
    "what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

The movie is rated PG.
    And as everybody knows, Lucas wrote it based on suggestions from his own kids. Kids love Jar Jar, after all.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My daughter loves Jar-head and she has seen the entire movie, she is 4.5 years of age. BTW, my wife was the one that let her watch it [​IMG] Oh well.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

5. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

"Daddy, is The Phantom Menace out yet??"
    "Daddy, is it October yet??"
    "Daddy, did we get TPM today??"
    [​IMG]
    Seriously, the fictional(battle droids, lightsabers, gungans, etc) nature of the "violence" worries me less than the realisitic violence with guns that other films have.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

6. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

You're kidding right? This is the ultimate kid's movie! If there is a movie your offsprings need to see as soon as they can sit still it's the Star Wars movies.
    Are you still reading? STOP!! GET OFF THE NET AND GO WATCH IT NOW!!!

7. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Well there is Darth Maul getting sliced in half, complete with blood spray, but other than that the violence level is on par with the other SW films.
    Also while kids love Jar-Jar, alot of kids are also scared of Darth Maul, must be that lovely tatooed face of his. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Richard Kim on October 16, 2001 at 02:58 PM]

8. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

My four year old son has watched Phantom Menace a handful of times. Honestly, I don't see much wrong with it other than maybe the scene where Darth Maul gets chopped. I usually just deflect his attention at that point. Like what was said above, the obvious fantastic nature of the violence concerns me less than him coming into the room while the news is on (especially right now).
    ------------------
    Christopher Cheadle
    Dayton, OH
    -------------------------
    "I gave my love a chicken that had no bone...MMMMM chicken."
    - Homer

9. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

The film is aimed at kids about age 3, so it should be fine (with the exception of the Darth Maul death previously mentioned).

10. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I let my 3 year old watch it.

11. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

i guess my main concern is people firing weapons and people dying. 3 is a very impressionable time and with all the crap thats going on now in the REAL world, I'd hate to reinforce the negative. I guess I give it a try...I know I will at least watch some segments with her!
    (I turn off the Sopranos for just the F word when she's milling about!)

12. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

guys... why can't I see my signature? I went to bio to set it up but it's never there! What am I doing wrong.
    and Patrick stop reading our replies GO SEE THE MOVIE [​IMG]

13. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    I think a movie like TPM is way too intense for a 3 year old. I know I don't want my 5 year-old girl watching someone get chopped in two. Doesn't anyone use any common sense anymore!!!!!!! Is it really a good idea to desensitize a child to violence at that young age?
    Just my two cents.
    ------------------

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have 3 boys (age 2, 4 and 6).
    The 6 year old loves it, the 2 year old watches it sometimes and gets scared if it gets really loud or tense. The 4 year old wants nothing to do with it. He just has to see me reach for the case and he starts running. I would suggest you play it for her at a really low level at least until she gets used to it, then you cana crank it.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

15. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    Yes, I think it makes a BIG difference. I'd like our kids to grow up with their innocence in tact for as long as possible. Also, I don't think a 4 or five year old, and especially a three year old has the mental capacity to differentiate between fantasy and reality. Isn't there more suitable entertainment for kids that age than TPM.
    Does the argument "Why shouldn't kids have sex at fourteen because they are going to have sex when they turn 18 or 20 anyway" hold water. No, beacause a 14 year old isn't mature enough to handle the consequences. I think the same logic applies here.
    Sorry, just my personal feeling.
    ------------------

16. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

17. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

18. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I let my son watch it when he was 3. He loves the lightsaber fights and the podrace. He wants to be Darth Maul when we play Star Wars because he likes the bad guys. The only problem that we have had is that it's such a high level of action that he gets very wound up, but what else do you expect. He loves it, and I'll take TPM over the power rangers any day.
    [Edited last by Jon Bell on October 16, 2001 at 04:48 PM]

19. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

20. Jacob_isham

Jacob_isham Stunt Coordinator

TPM is a great children's movie. The reason people are complaining so much about TPM is there viewing it as a movie that is supposed to entertain adults, somthing which it doesnt do very well. Jar Jar is stupid and annoying, but my kids love him (like they love the teletubbies that run round making stupid noises). Jar jar has the child mentality, as has the rest of the movie. I tend to find that the only adults i know that enjoyed this movie are the less intelligent ones that maybe didnt do so well in there education (no offence meant, this is just what i have found in my area). I cant stand this movie, but that isnt to say i think it's a bad movie, it's a children's movie and is presented on that level. Just look at how often the movie hints that Palpatine is in fact darth Sidious (i personally and i would hope most adults dont want or need these blatant hints (i found them rather annoying)), this is so kids can pick up on this and feel good about themselves for being able to work this out. It's time people stopped complaining and putting this movie down and just accept that maybe it wasnt meant for them. After all lucas consulted his children when making this movie.
    As for the DVD it is an excellent package in my opinion, i think the movie is suitable for all ages, but some of the extra content on the DVD (bad language) probably isnt. I bought this for my kids and they've watched it 5 times since i got it a week ago. They'll probably end up scratching the disc, but as long as they get a lot of use out of it first, i dont care. I love the sound especially in the pod race though i couldnt justify buying it as a demo disc.
    [Edited last by Jacob_isham on October 16, 2001 at 05:47 PM]