What's new

Toys R Us - Does anybody else hate the store now? (1 Viewer)

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Ever since Toys R Us completely changed their stores I just hate it now.

The layout is confusing and badly laid out.

The selection is crappy now.

I am really into board games, and I remember before they redid all their stores that the outer wall on one side was basically all board games from floor to about 9 feet up. You could find games you didn't even know existed.

Now the board game section is just a little aisle, with about 1/10th the selection of the previous layout.

My local Meijr has a better selection of board games than TRU does.

And its not just board games that are affected, action figures and other toys are also affected.

And yes I know they did this many years ago.

I have not purchased a single thing from them since they did this.

Does anybody know of a good, reliable on-line store that has a very good selection of current and older board games?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've got to agree with you on the 'new' TRU layout. Awful. I think it makes the stores feel smaller and more cramped.

Levi

Agent
Well, the unfortunate fact of the matter is that TRU has lost an incredible amount of ground in the toy market to Wal-Mart and Target. Toys R Us is no longer the number one toyseller in the US, it's Wal-Mart. The lay-out changes are because their new CEO (ex-FAO Schwarz) was brought in specifically to change things up. The idea is to make a visit to TRU more of an "event" and less of a chore. That is why there are all the things to look at and play with. If the product mix is different, it's because they are stocking only what they know they can sell. The only time the company makes money is during the Christmas shopping season, they run at a loss the rest of the year.

I worked for TRU for 2 years in the late 1990's, and it was widely rumored that the company was going to to declare bankruptcy at any moment.

I don't like the TRU lay-out anymore than you guys, but I can't begrudge them doing everything they can to survive in a Wal-Mart world.

--LEVI

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I've always wondered how TRU can operate. Is there such a demand for toys that a chain of megastores is necessary?

StephenA

Screenwriter
I don't like the new layout either. The Toys R Us has only had the new layout for a couple years. To me the new layout is more of a hassle and chore to find things in than before. I miss Child World/Children's Palace. To me they were always better than Toys R Us.

Ravi K: I think it's due to other stuff like video games and systems, baby stuff, and bicycles that help keep Toys R Us alive.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I just discovered their birthday registry that couples with the birthday party invites.

Genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks