What's new

Toyota MR2 Spyder with SMT? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Whatdya think of the new Spyder? 2200lbs, Mid engined, car with available Sequential 5-spd transmission? $26k

Are there alot of mods for the car. I've been checking the MR2 forums and websites, but since the SMT is new for 2002, the reliability is still in question but looks cool. The sequential is similar to the rally cars system, at least the ones on the floor where pull towards driver is upshift, and away is downshift.

The SMT is fully manual though, there is no multiple modes or an automatic mode, like the SMT in the new BMW M3, but then neither is it this $2500 option on a $50k car either.

I read a review where it said the SMT is more geared toward smoothness rather than speed and that the 5-spd is about .7 to 1 second faster than the SMT because of it, even those theoretically, the SMT should shift faster than any human.

comments, ideas??? I'm about to finish the payments on my car and though this mid-engined car would be cool as a summer roadster..

Jay

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm too budget-minded. I got a $23,000 Miata for $13,000 because it had 11,000 summer, garaged miles on it. Plus, I need a trunk that I can throw groceries or a couple of small suitcases in (or a golf bag).

However, when I replace her in a few years (and I'll buy used again), I'd love to have paddle shifters...then my wife could drive the car without destroying the clutch. She doesn't drive the Miata...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, the MSRP for the base Spyder with 5spd is like $24k, the SMT is $768. It's new for 2002 so I'm sure the supply is quite limited, hence the dealer markup that you may have seen. Yeah, for $40k I'd think about something else...
Anyway, I'm just pondering, probably not something I'd buy til next year or so.. It's certainly not as powerful/fast as the S2000, but it's a bit cheaper in MSRP than the S2000 which is like $32k or so, and the SMT is cool, the only other car that offers a SMT and is mid-engined is the Ferrari. :)
Michael: With me, ALL my cars are summer cars, the next buyer would love somebody like me, I mostly bike and only drive when I have to go far and fast, in fact, my '97 328i is practically as good shape as it was when new. The only thing is that it's not garage kept, but it has low miles (37k, although I did drive to work for 4 years when I had it new).
Jay

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you can fit a bike in the back of a 328 with the seats folded down, don't know that you can say that about a MR2. :)
Andrej

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I don't have the split fold down seats in the 328, along with the OBC, the seats were one of the two options I didn't get when I got the car. I wanted them though. I do have a roof rack though. In either case, I wont consider the MR2 as an only car anyway, I would still keep the 328. However, I'm really just pondering, it's a helluva lotta money for a person who bikes alot. But it sure is tempting...

Jay

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
The MR2 is an all-round great car, but don't buy the SMT version. It totally goes against the character of the car, and a car like this is meant to be driven. Not meant as a family/mom's runabout.
With the manual, you can wring far greater performance out of the car. Sometimes a SMT (Sequential Manual Transmission, BTW) is very well-executed (M3 SMG II), but not here.
Look carefully, and you'll be able to find reviews of both versions to help you make up your mind. If it was mine, i'd go for manual.
Enjoy! :D

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I liked the older MR2 with the supoercharger. They were like little Ferarri's until the got all fat and bloated.

The newer MR Spyder is nice, but just not like the little rocket the original was.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Unfortunately the S2000 is a lot more than the Spyder and alot to spend on a second car for somebody that bikes alot too. I know all my bike friends think I'm nuts. :)
Personally, I'm not that fond of the S2000 looks anyway, but yeah, its a much better car, performancewise, having over 200HP with only a .2 liter displacement advantage. I saw two of them today on the ride home.. must be a convention! I hardly ever see a MR2 Spyder.
Yeah, I'd love to get an M3 with the SMT, I know alot about that, having lurked on the M3 forum at bimmer.org. I think a couple years from now, a truely great SMT will be developed from Toyota (much like BMW did with theirs, the SMT that is in the M3 is really a 2nd generation design as they had many technical glitches with the first one). I bet Toyota will improve on this version and then offer it up for some of the sportier Lexus models. I bet this is why you find the first SMT done by Toyota on a Toyota model and not a Lexus model.
I can forsee a killer SMT on something like the SC430 or even the IS300.
Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
And I want real paddles, not buttons!
yeah!

I wandered into one local Toyota dealership today, didn't walk into the showroom, just walked around the lot so I wouldn't get hounded, didn't see one in sight. So I go inside and talk to one salesman, "Are you going to get any Spyders with SMT in so I could test drive one" and the salesman asked "What is SMT?" So I said "it's the Sequential Manual Transmission" at which he kind of did a blind stare so I got the brochure and said "thanks"

Jay

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
SMT and its many variations are damn common in Europe today. That's why you'll see them almost exclusively on European cars. Even budget-boxes (below GBP 10 000) are shipping with this feature nowadays.
But of course Manual is the best! :D ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks