What's new

Toyota Camry or Honda Accord? (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Help me decide guy and gals.

My wife wants a newer car and were thinking about at least a 99 model year Camry or Accord, but nothing newer than say a 01.

Im hoping some of you with experience with both of or either of these cars can hel me decide.

Mileage is about the same correct?

Which is sportier inside? I dont want anything too boring, however i will if the deal is good :)

How is handling and power among both 4cyl's and 6cyl's?
Comfort?
Reliability?

Whats a good mileage number to stay under?
Known problems i might encounter?

Maybe theres an entirely different car i should be looking at, any suggestions?

Price wise, i would say wed like to stay under $13k.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Are you looking for a 2D or 4D? Honda changed their body design for the 2D Accord in 2000 to make it more like a sport coupe.

I prefer Hondas but that is only because I sat in both and listened to the voice in my head. I suggest you do the same.

Some of the features that I liked in my 2000 Honda Accord EX V6 2Dr:
--Temperature control (very cool to set the temp to 74 degrees and let the computer heat or cool it for you)

--Radio controls on the steering wheel (loved changing stations and turning up the volume without taking my hands off the wheel.)

--Feature that won't allow you to lock the car when the door is open and the keys are in the ignition. (good for absent minded folk like me)

--Good on gas and nice power. (Once drove from Sacramento to LA on one tank of gas.)

--Head and leg room in back seat (Although it is a two door, able to comfortably sit two grown adults in the back seat.)

--Big trunk space.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Thanks Hunter! Exactly the info i was looking for.

I do like the idea of radio controls on the steering wheel, however id have to look for something that would allow me to use an aftermarket system with them.

You know me, id have to change out that factory stereo :)

I should have mentioned that we'd prefere a 4 dr.

Id sure appreciate more info from other members as well.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have a '98 Accord V6 4 door (equivalent to the EX in the US). Moonroof, power windows, leather, etc. etc. Good car. The later models may have more horsepower now, although the 2003 model likely has 220 HP compared to the 1998's 195 HP.

I haven't driven a Camry V6 yet. Reviews I read say that the Camry V6 (probably up to the 1999 models) were "gutless". You'll definitely need to test drive both to compare.

For reliability, they are both very good, with the edge going to Toyota.

The Accord is less boring than the Camry, although the newest Camry's have improved styling.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I have a 4 door 2001 Toyota Camry LE 4 door and my friend has a 2001 Honda Accord EX 4 door. Both 4 cylinder and automatic transmission. Leather seats and 6 disc CD changer aside (on my friend's car), I preferred the Accord. The Camry is slightly bigger inside, but not by much. But the controls on the Accord....they're so well positioned. Just like my much-missed 1991 Honda Accord LX 4 door. The Accord is definitely sportier, in both performance and ride. The Camry rides like a 70s American sedan, kinda floats down the freeway. Problems? There has been complains of front-end vibrations on the Camry on various Camry owners' forums, even mentioned in complains at the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board), and yes, I feel it too.

Buyer's remorse? Yes :frowning:

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I really don't think a person can go too wrong with either car. Both are really well made vehicles. I own a 2002 Camry and think it is just great. If I had an Accord, I am sure I would be just as happy.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Henry,

There was a recent (within the last 6 months) comparison test in Consumer Reports between the VW Passat, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry. Check with that issue.

Power-wise....my 2001 4 cylinder Camry (with 140 horsepower) feels slower than my 1991 Honda Accord (with 125 horsepower). It just doesn't seem to want to take off. The soft ride and overly-light steering adds to that feel. I don't know if the Camry weights more (possible, with the airbags and other stuff), however.

Do a search in this forum, there was a very recent thread about soft ride on a 2002 Camry.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
both cars are pretty solid.

i have a 94 accord ex with about 130k miles. it still runs great. it only broke down once due to what was later determined to be a factory defect. even after i paid out of pocket to fix the problem -- honda contacted me months later and offered to reimburse me. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

my aunt had an older camry that she drove into the ground. i know she didn't have any complaints either.

if i were in your shoes, i'd take the accord though. they're just solid vehicles.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I would go for the Accord. It's faster and just feels solid around corners. The Camry to me seems a liitle sluggish (I drove my friends 4 cyl. model) and has way to much body roll.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Since an 02 Camry is gonna be out of your price range, I'd go with the Accord if sportiness is important to you.

The Pre-02 Camry is a quieter, smoother riding car than the Accord, with adequate power in the 4 and more than enough in the V6. I had a 98 4 cyl Camry for 3 years and it was quieter and smoother riding than my dad's 98 V6 Accord. The Accord handles better and I actually prefer the firmer suspension.

Toyota pretty much got rid of the floaty ride in the 02 and newer Camry, and also made the interior much more classy without losing the quiet.

So if you are going no newer than 01, I'd go with the Accord between the two cars.

If you remove the Honda vs Toyota and allow other makes, I'd definitely look at the 98-00 or so Nissan Maxima. More room than either the Camry or Accord and one of the best V6 engines in the business along with very good handling and braking. Nissans in general tend to be "Driver's cars" like the European makes but with typical Japanese-brand reliability. If you can find an SE model, go for it--these had special sports suspensions and wheel/tire upgrades and are one of the true bargains in largish sports sedans.

So my 1st choice would be a Maxima, Honda Accord second, Camry 3rd.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
In the past 18 months, I've owned a 92 Accord, a 99 Camry, and now, a 2003 Civic.

The 92 Accord had 190k miles on it before I donated it to charity - it ran great up until the final days, with limited repair work.

I had problems with my 99 Camry. I bought it used, with 64k miles. The first 6 months or so were great, but after that, it started exhibiting some problems - very low idle rates, and times when the car would not start unless it was first rolled backwards.

The dealership told me that the "Air Control Valve" was sticking and that it needed to be replaced, so I had it replaced (~$400)... but it didn't seem to help. I wasn't necessarily ready to give up on the car, but I was looking for something a little more compact. Driving the Camry was like driving a boat, and it was very hard to park in Boston. So, I traded it in (and, of course, got raped on the trade-in) and got a 2003 Civic, which I absolutely love!

Overall, I enjoyed the Camry when I had it, and very few people have problems with them (whether or not I got a lemon, I'll never know). Just be sure to get a Carfax report on the vehicle before you purchase it (the carfax on the Camry came back completely clean).

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
*UPDATE*

I want to thank all you guys for your help.

I finally made a decision and purchased a Nissan Maxima.

Although it isnt a brand new car, for a 1997 model it looks and drives TERRIFIC!

[url=http://dihappy.homestead.com/files/Maxima/frontqtr.jpg] [/url]
(click pic)

This thing really moves too, no its no Toyota Supra, but among other 4drs in its price range, id bet it beat most if not all of em :)

Hmm, some exhaust work, etc and i might be on the next
Fast & Furious movie :)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Henry, I was going to second what Steve Schaffer suggested about checking out the Maximas. I've always heard performance wise, they'll get up and go when you need to. I owned an 83' Accord and finally donated it at 240,000 due to valve guide seals that got so worn the car wouldn't pass inspection(emissions). Now I have a 90'Accord LX with 130,000 and it runs like a top. Nice picture of the car, I can just imagine seeing you wheeling around Terrell Hills!

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
As I was scrolling down thrugh the posts i was wondering to myself if i should "suggest' that you you throw them both out and go for the Maxima. Both the Honda and Toyota are nice cars...very reliable....go forever withopout ever having to service them...but they are both BORING!!!! I was going to suggest, based on your needing it to be a little "sporty" that you go for the maxima.

Great choice!!!!!!

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I like the sportier look of the Honda and it's features. Like someone said above you can't go wrong with either one.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Thanks guys!

The cars is awesome, and the interior leather is very sweet!

As for the choice for thieves, my truck is number 1 here in TX and i did have it broken into once.

Ive got a better alarm now but since im selling it, ill be putting the alarm in the Max.

Karl,
LOL, Terrel Hills, you gotta be crazy to speed in Terrel Hills :)

Scott, im already a member and got a sticker and plate trim :)

I do plan on going with a quiet aftermarket exhuast though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks