What's new

Toy story dilemma (1 Viewer)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Ok here is the deal, I really want to get both of the Toy Story movies but I also would like to get A Bugs Life. Now do I get the three pack which contains all three movies, or should I get the ultimate toy box which contains both Toy Story's with the bonus disc and then buy A Bugs Life seperately. Is the bonus disc worth the purchase? Are the movies in the toy box the same as the individual releases?

Just noticed, this is my first post here!! Hi everyone, I've been lurking for awhile.

Thanks,
Moe

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
If you can still find it, I'd recommend getting the 2-disc Collector's Edition of A Bug's Life. It contains much more in the way of extras and, unlike the single disc version, the transfer is anamorphic.
I'm not sure if the Collector's Edition is out of print or not, but I still see it out on the shelves around here from time to time.
Oh yeah, and welcome to HTF. :)

Colin-H

Second Unit
The only way I saw it in my Best Buy was in a $200 box set conmtaining Toy Story Toy Box, Bug's Life, Atlantis, Dinosaur, and Emperor's New Groove CEs, and the Fantasia collection.

I figure if I can sell the 3 DVDs I have no interest in @ $25 a piece, it'd be worth it. For some reason I'm thinking Tarzan was in there, too. If I could sell all 4 of those, it'd definitely be worth it.

Corey * C

Grip
Go ahead and splurge with the Toy Box and 2-Disc Bug's Life.
I found both about 2 months ago, bought them, and am very pleased.:)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
The Toy Box discs are different from the regular discs. I'm not sure if the non-Toy Box discs are anamorphic, but I know that the commentaries aren't on the regular discs. Apparently there are also forced commercials on the regular discs, but I know there aren't any on the Toy Box. The extras are also really interesting on the box set-especially if you have any interest in computer animation. A worthwhile purchase for sure.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Rain you are almost 100% correct. The original Bug's Life single disk was non16x9 but I believe the current single disk is 16x9, as is the 2 disk Bug's Life.

I would recommend getting the Toy Story UTB because the actual disks are different with the UTB version containing more. I am not 100% sure if the single versions of TS1 and TS2 contain the THX intros for example but I know there are other differences. Someone else can chime in about that. Plus the 3rd disk contains a lot of extras as does the Bug's Life 2nd disk.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Neil,
According to all the sources I have seen, both single-disc editions of A Bug's Life (one of which bears the "Gold Collection" banner) are non-anamorphic.
Perhaps there is a third single-disc version that I am not aware of, but I can't find any record of it.
Chris,
I checked Amazon and it appears that the Collector's Edition is still available. It's a bit pricey though.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
OK, Chris...
I'm from your neck of the woods, and if you're like me in any way, "splurging" is very tough to do with the high cost of living in the Bay Area... (by the way, I'm actually moving to Berkeley next month to cut these super high costs of living right in the city...) BUT....
The third disk of the Ultimate Toy Box and the second disk of the Bug's Life Collector's Edition get more of a workout from my player than virtually anything else that isn't an actual movie. Other 2/3 disk sets are great sometimes and I do love the extras, but the PIXAR discs (distributed by cough, cough Disney) are almost endlessly getting played. These discs are an investment worth every single penny for me - The absolute best PPP (play per penny) value I own...
And I'd put money on the fact that the upcoming Monsters Inc will be just as "super-deluxe"... :D

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
OK, Chris...
I'm from your neck of the woods, and if you're like me in any way, "splurging" is very tough to do with the high cost of living in the Bay Area... (by the way, I'm actually moving to Berkeley next month to cut these super high costs of living right in the city...) BUT....
The third disk of the Ultimate Toy Box and the second disk of the Bug's Life Collector's Edition get more of a workout from my player than virtually anything else that isn't an actual movie. Other 2/3 disk sets are great sometimes and I do love the extras, but the PIXAR discs (distributed by cough, cough Disney) are almost endlessly getting played. These discs are an investment worth every single penny for me - The absolute best PPP (play per penny) value I own...
And I'd put money on the fact that the upcoming Monsters Inc will be just as "super-deluxe"...
Glad to see someone local, I love living in Berkeley when you get out here we should take a trip to Rasputins and Amoeba and do some DVD shopping, I'm there just about every weekend.
Splurging for DVD's usually isnt so bad for me, I buy 90% of them used and my rent is dirt cheap. Problem is I just spent a ton of money on a CRT projector :D so money is tight now.
I am glad to hear that the bonus discs are worthwhile, I am the type that really enjoys bonus material so I think I am going to love these sets.
Thanks all
Moe

Sarah Temple

Agent
ive said it before and ill say it again, try dvdpricesearch.com..... its the ultimate in searching for available dvds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks