1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toy Story 4 (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Dec 7, 2017.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Thanks all :) yeah, May was rough; but thank goodness this wasn't "The Art of Racing in the Rain" which is later this summer.. because that book is WAY too real and if they do a halfway decent job of it, that movie is going to kill me. Still, loved the book.

2. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Saw Toy Story 4 for the 2nd time in 3D. Loved it even more. Stuck around this time for the funny credit sequences. I got today in the mail my Duke Caboom set from amzm for $18. Fun! Yes we Canada!

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    It was terrific, even if all the characters didn't really get their chances to shine. It was Woody's story and that's okay; he deserved it. The stuff in the antique store was great - very creepy in a way Sunnyside couldn't be. The carnival lights were beautiful. I think my favorite part was the opening flashback about RC almost getting lost, and how Bo Peep left the group.

The ending, well... I think they telegraphed it too much. If you watch the previews, you can sorta guess. I confess I had guessed this would be the outcome. It was really good, though. Woody's a stand-in for parents, obviously, but also for children, who, at some point, have to live the lives they want to have.

Some of you may disagree, but I think the ending virtually guarantees a Toy Story 5. If there is one thing that will sell tickets, it's
    the reunion of Woody and Buzz.
    One of my kids was a little glum at the ending, but when I told him this, he cheered up immediately and began thinking of the possibilities.

Lastly, the scene at the end when
    Bo and Woody embrace and spin around
    is, despite being an animated film, one of the most romantic scenes I've seen in a movie in years.

benbess, TravisR and Jake Lipson like this.
  4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, if I HAD to find a complaint about this movie, it would be that the minor characters didn't get much screen time. However, I think they ultimately made the right call to have Woody be the focus and not just have scenes with the other characters just to have scenes with the other characters.

5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I was also slightly disappointed that none of the songs from the previews were in the movie.

6. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Very good film and a great ending to the saga. Such a fine story that choked me up. Hard to believe I could be so emotionally invested in these characters. Farewell to all you toys.

7. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Supporting Actor

Watched it tonight with my wife (our teens have reached the age where animated films are not as "cool" anymore) and enjoyed it very much! TS2 and TS3 are 2 of my top tier Pixar films, and had misgivings about TS4 since TS3 had such a pitch-perfect ending. While TS4 is not as good as those 2, it still had plenty of memorable moments and definitely a worthy entry.

It's amazing that all 4 films have the same MacGuffin - rescuing a toy or toys - but amidst the adventures involved in doing so, each brings nuanced observations about the passage of time, the nature of friendship, the meaning of loyalty, and probably most important of all, the sense of belonging.

My rankings are:

1. TS2
    2. TS3
    3. TS4
    4. TS1

benbess likes this.
  8. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    What a fab movie, and the Dolby Atmos was fab as well.

benbess likes this.
  9. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Something else occurred to me over the weekend when a good number of people were complaining about the ending. Toy Story has always been Woody's story, his journey. Everyone else-even Buzz-are supporting characters. Woody has always put his kids and the other toys first...keeping them out of harms way and making sure they were safe.

Here, he makes a sacrifice for Bonnie and Forky (as we'd expect him to do) and then he rides off into the sunset, just like a classic cowboy would. Sure, cowboy's usually die in the end of their movie, but Woody wasn't going to die - that's a no brainer. He gets the girl and they go live on their own. That's a classic story arc from Toy Story through Toy Story 4.

Then layer in parents letting go of their kids as they grow up, the toys letting go of each other and their wants. Yeah, this is a good one. :)

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    At the theater today, noticed that outside the big auditorium playing TS4 the theater has one of those huge cardboard standees (about 8 feet tall) advertising 47 Meters Down: Uncaged, complete with giant shark's head with mouth open wide and full of sharp teeth.

Guess they're trying to give the kiddos a scare as they enter the dark auditorum and/or an image to take home with them for bedtime nightmares. :eek:

Sam Favate and TravisR like this.
  11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I saw this again today and noticed that when Woody and Bo Peep go find Duke Caboom, you can quickly see the old Kenner Star Wars toys of Obi-Wan Kenobi slashing at Walrus Man's arm in the background.

Sam Favate and Jake Lipson like this.
  12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Can we talk about the fact that Toy Story 3 is the third animated film since in less than a full year to end
    with the permanent physical-living-situation separation of the core friends at the center of the series?

I'll identify the two movies below under a spoiler tag, but if you don't know what they are already, reading the spoiler would inevitably tell you how the other two end.

Ralph Breaks the Internet and How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

It's probably just a really weird coincidence, but still, I couldn't help but notice.

Sam Favate likes this.
  13. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Probably just a coincidence, Jake, but this series has always mirrored life in different ways. This ending is how life works. I've seen anger and rage and disappointment and frustration over this ending on a lot of social media and I quite frankly don't get it.

14. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    You don't get why people would be upset about
    Woody separating from his toy family?

I fully understand why that ending would be frustrating to a lot of people. They expected a situation like Toy Story 2 where the toys have their adventure and then return to their normal lives and not much has changed (except, in that case, for the addition of Jessie and Bullseye to Andy's room.) That is certainly not the case with this film.

Bob_S. likes this.
  15. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Nope. Not at all, Jake. I understand being upset because a movie doesn't how *you* want it to, but to say the choice made by the filmmakers is *wrong* or makes you angry/upset/disappointed/pissed off...nope.

And you said it yourself: people *expected* a certain ending. And when that wasn't delivered, instead of understanding the ending and Woody's arc through all four movies, they yelled about it. Everyone yells and screams that a sequel is just like what came before...and when the filmmakers go a different way, the same people yell and scream that it's too different from what came before. Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want a movie sufficiently different from what came before, you hafta be ready for something *different*. People aren't interested in that, by and large.

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Me at the ending: Must not cry, these are just lights up on a screen about toys! They’re toys! They’re not alive! Oh hell, I misted up anyway.

Stacy and I loved the movie and were very moved by the ending. Wow, did we become invested in these characters. Pixar has told a story 4 times about the same characters and has been, IMHO, very successful each time. We’re going to rewatch the first 3 soon.

Yes, the ending was a little bit of a shock, but it felt natural and I was happy for the two characters. After TS3, I was wonderfully satisfied and believed the Toy’s stories were over. Now I’m thinking that TS4 is not the final tale in their saga. I want more.

Who knew Bo would turn into Lara Croft? Was that masking tape she repaired herself with? I liked that bit of satire on how movie heroes take big wounds and keep on ticking.

When I first saw the previews and Forky, I wasn’t impressed, but I kept my hopes up and Pixar did not disappoint. Duke Kaboom (voiced by Keanu Reeves) was a laugh riot. Is it Key and Peele? They were great too. Did I hear someone say “move your fluff”?

Two thumbs up!

Doug Wallen, TravisR and benbess like this.
  17. Message #137 of 177 Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Bob_S.

Bob_S. Screenwriter

My family and I just saw this a couple days ago. While we all enjoyed it, we all agreed that the ending was bitter sweet. We all feel this is the end of Toy Story. Even though I love watching anything Toy Story, the first 3 really was the perfect trilogy. The third was a perfect ending and I feel like this one kind of ruined it. So while I really enjoyed Toy Story 4, I felt we really didn't need it. Sorry, the ending just kind of bums me out a little.
    My ranking:
    1.Toy Story 2
    2.Toy Story 1
    3.Toy Story 3
    4.Toy Story 4

18. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Nope!
    unless you’re talking about Toy Story 4
    ;)

19. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I want to see this. Is it sad?

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'd call it bittersweet. Any sadness in the movie is worth it because the movie also has plenty of fun in it.

Johnny Angell and Bryan^H like this.