1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toy Story 4 (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Message #41 of 55 Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Here's Disney's new official synopsis for the film. If you don't want to know anything, then obviously don't read it. But since it coming directly from Disney's promotional people, I don't think it constitutes need for a spoiler bracket.

And quotes from director Josh Cooley and Annie Potts, who returns to voice Bo Peep for the first time since Toy Story 2:

Cooley's quote is interesting because it makes it sound as though Bo Peep deliberately left Andy's possession, which would be an interesting way to go. From the way she's mentioned briefly in Toy Story 3, I had assumed that Andy got rid of her.

Also, we'll have to see how they handle the reunion between Bo and the rest of Andy's (now Bonnie's) toys. I'm super-excited about seeing her character again, but it also seems like it could be a massive coincidence that Woody happens to find the exact copy of Bo Peep that was originally in Andy's possession, as opposed to another copy of Bo Peep. (Like Buzz, there are probably tons of her in existence in the world of the movie.) But it has to be Andy's Bo Peep, because the emotional significance of the reunion doesn't exist if Woody just encounters another copy of her. It has to be the one he knows and loves and with which he has history, or it won't matter. So how does he happen to find that exact Bo Peep?

http://collider.com/toy-story-4-poster-synopsis-bo-peep/

Sam Favate and TravisR like this.
  2. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I know I’m in the minority, but I absolutely LOVE The Hobbit trilogy. I admit that I didn’t read the book first, so I didn’t have the perspective of it being a relatively short novel being stretched into a 3-part trilogy of 3 hour films, but watching each film over consecutive years as I did with LotR, having no idea what was coming next each step of the way, it was every bit as satisfying as the first trilogy.

As for Toy Story 4, I didn’t think there was any need for a sequel after each one so far, thinking it was perfect stand alone film, a perfect two-part series, and I currently think it’s a perfect trilogy. Each film has surpassed my expectations, so color me excited for this one!

3. Message #43 of 55 Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Tom Hanks posted a photo today of himself recording dialogue as Woody on his Facebook fan page, which I'd encourage you to go look at. I'm not sure if I can post that here, but go look at it. It feels kind of like a historic moment to me, because he wrote with it:

I love Tom Hanks as an entertainer. I've seen him in tons of great roles in a variety of different films. But to me, having grown up in the '90s with Toy Story, Woody is the iconic role I'll always think of first when I think of Tom Hanks. You know how at book signings and things like that, they often tell you that each person in line may ask for one thing to be signed, but not more than one thing? I don't know why I would ever be in a position to be in an autograph line for Tom Hanks, but theoretically, if that were to be the case, the Blu-ray of the original Toy Story would be the one thing I would ask him to sign for me; above all of his other films which I've liked, the Toy Story series means the most to me by far.

So it's weird to think that today might be the last time he records as Woody. Of course, he probably already thought he was done when he finished Toy Story 3, and then they brought him back for the Toy Story Toons and Of Terror and That Time Forgot, and then 4. So you never know what could happen. But still, it's weird to think if they don't find a reason to continue that he is done with it.

All good things must come to an end. And I certainly don't want them to continue making more films unless they are as good as the ones we have. But it's still weird.

Bob_S. and Sam Favate like this.
  4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Here you go. This is from Hanks' Twitter:

[​IMG]
    Final line, final session as Woody of Toy Story 4. We rode like the wind, to infinity and beyond. Hanx

Johnny Angell and Jake Lipson like this.
  5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I meant more like, "I'm not sure if I have the right to post it here since it's his," but...there you go. You did it, not me. ;)

Sam Favate likes this.
  6. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Would be absolutely great if not for the guy in the white shirt making it look absolutely like a staged picture.

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Isn't it usual for voices to be completed first and than the animation? If they've just finished the voice work how do they get the animation done for a release this year. Obviously, I have it wrong.

9. Message #49 of 55 Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Yes. You had it right.

But it's also normal for them to have multiple sessions. They probably needed one more session this year just to finish things up. Maybe this was just a few additional things they needed another take of because something before wasn't quite working yet.

In any case, they've all been recording it on and off for a while now. I'm not worried about them getting it done by June.

I'm most curious how they are going to handle Mr. Potato Head, who was in the first teaser, but didn't speak in it. We know Don Rickles didn't record for this film before his passing -- but they also resurrected Paul Newman for Cars 3 based on unused recordings made for the first Cars, and they have three previous films worth of stuff for Rickles.

10. Message #50 of 55 Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson

My immediate question in watching this is: where does Bonnie think Woody and Buzz are when they are at the carnival? Or, where is she? It seems like this might have to be a situation like Toy Story 2 where Andy was gone for a week and therefore wouldn't notice the toys being gone. And if Woody and Bo are just walking around the carnival, how would the humans not notice that? There must be more to this scenario than is set up in this ad.

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    The ad tells us very little, but it sure was fun. My kids didn't stay up to see it last night, and the first thing they asked for this morning was the Toy Story 4 ad. They loved all 30 seconds of it.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    A new international poster:

TS4 international.

TravisR likes this.
  13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I found something interesting while browsing on Amazon today: a graphic novel tie-in for Toy Story 4.

A graphic novel adaptation of the movie I would have expected, but that doesn't appear to be what this is. Look at the description:

https://www.amazon.com/Disney·PIXAR-Toy-Story-Graphic-Novel/dp/1506712657/ref=pd_sbs_14_2/136-7186678-4929139?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1506712657&pd_rd_r=9403a26b-2e53-11e9-827c-dd07d49e9177&pd_rd_w=VtcOu&pd_rd_wg=Kou7L&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=5DKTJW8VV7KV4EFZNT2F&psc=1&refRID=5DKTJW8VV7KV4EFZNT2F

The idea that some of this is set "and after" the movie is particularly interesting because it means the end of the story in the film has to leave room open for more story. Some of the hints we've been hearing suggest that there is part of the ending that is really sad, but how sad can it be if there's still more in the graphic novel?

I'm curious about this, and I wouldn't mind reading the stories that are set before the movie before I see the movie, but I don't think I will get it, because I don't want to accidentally read anything that spoils the movie before i see it. Publication date is May 7, which is about six weeks before the movie comes out.

There is also going to be a graphic novel for the Aladdin remake which sounds like a prequel or side story to it, since it is called "Four Tales of Agrabah." That one I went ahead and pre-ordered, since it seems less likely to spoil the plot of a remake where we already know the whole plot. The Aladdin one is due out on April 30.

14. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I will get this for my kids. They've devoured the old TS graphic novel they have and they're anxious for more of anything Toy Story.

I don't think TS4 will end on a sad note. If anything, these movies have tended to be poignant (Andy grows up and goes to college) rather than simply sad (the death of a character or separation of the toy family).

The larger question is why is Dark Horse doing this when Disney has the biggest comic publisher under its own roof?

Jake Lipson likes this.
  15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    If you read it with them, please let us know how it is. I'm curious since it says that some of it happens before the movie, but since it's not entirely a prequel, I don't want to read anything before the film that could potentially be a spoiler for the film. So some more information from you would be most helpful. I'll keep it in mind but probably wouldn't end up purchasing it until after the film.

No, I guess I didn't express this in the best way but I actually meant something more along the lines of an epic sad sequence like the incinerator scene from Toy Story 3, which even though it wasn't the ending had me absolutely bawling in the theater when I saw it. I would expect them to have something with similar emotional weight.

That is a great question, but apparently this isn't new. This article indicates that the Disney-Dark Horse relationship has been going on for a while: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aladdin-dumbo-graphic-novels-coming-dark-horse-1173306. I haven't been aware of these previously, but now the Aladdin one on pre-order.

Sam Favate likes this.