Toy Story 4 (2019)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney's art-of books are usually expensive. That's fair, because they are usually elaborate deluxe hardcovers with glossy pages and lots of full-color interior images, so I've never thought them overpriced for what you get. But that doesn't mean they're not pricey. Because of this, I don't get as many as I would like to, but occasionally get lucky when something goes on deep sale.

I'm bumping this old thread from last year because, a year or so after its release, Amazon has dropped the price of The Art of Toy Story 4 to a new low price of $18.85. I thought the movie was among last year's very best and have been wanting this for a while, so grabbed it. I have no idea how long this price drop will last, but I thought I would post about it here just in care anyone else would like to add this to their collection.

Amazon product
On another note, I am very glad that Toy Story 4 came out last year. Although I am still looking forward to a bunch of films that have been delayed as a result of this insane pandemic, a delay for Toy Story 4 -- and not knowing whether or not it would be safe to go see it when it did come out -- would have been WAY more crushing and difficult for me than anything that has been delayed this year. Toy Story was a staple of my childhood in a way that none of this year's delayed films even come close to being, and looking back now I'm so relieved that their latest was completed and came out in a time when both the world and the theatrical marketplace were healthy. Now, the book will give me something new to read during quarantine.

Lastly for now, I'm quoting my very old post from the first page of this thread just because I was looking at it when I bumped the thread and had a further comment:

I fully understand and appreciate why they can't do that [outtakes in the credits] every time since it would lose its freshness. But I think it would be a nice touch to bring them back now, especially on Toy Story 4, because 2 already had them so it would make sense. It has been long enough since they last did it that I think it would be fun to see again, and not redundant.
I understand now why they did not do outtakes for this film. Given the way that the movie ended, showing outtakes on the credits would have diminished the emotional significance of that ending by suggesting that it's not "real" and that the toys are actors shooting a movie. Of course, Toy Story 2 already made this suggestion with their outtakes, but that was 20 years previously and coming off of an ending that was much less weighty than this one. I still think it would be a fun idea to bring the outtakes back at some point for some other movie that's not Toy Story, but they absolutely had to maintain the integrity of such a big swing ending. I am glad Josh Cooley ignored my tweet asking for outtakes because they never would have worked with this ending, which was deeply emotional precisely because it was real.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Angell

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Evel Knivel's son is suing Disney for similarities between his dad and Duke Caboom. The lawsuit alleges "monetary damages to its business, reputation and goodwill."

I really don't think Duke can be considered a ripoff. An homage, maybe, but I don't think they'll succeed here. Also, I certainly don't think association with Toy Story, if there is any, would damage the Knivel's company's reputation or good will. It is one of the most popular film franchises ever, so if anything association with it should give brands a boost. But I guess they see it as a way for them to get some money. Maybe.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I really don't think Duke can be considered a ripoff. An homage, maybe, but I don't think they'll succeed here. Also, I certainly don't think association with Toy Story, if there is any, would damage the Knivel's company's reputation or good will. It is one of the most popular film franchises ever, so if anything association with it should give brands a boost. But I guess they see it as a way for them to get some money. Maybe.
The thing Kaboom uses to wind up and make his jump is exactly the toy that every kid my age had, circa 1974. The biggest difference is that Kaboom wears the colors of Canada while Knieval wore the colors of the US.

• Insightful
Reactions: Jake Lipson

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a lawyer but I don't see any case here for Evel Knievel's family because at worst, it's a parody of him. The toy is what is being copied and I assume that with all the existing toys used in the Toy Story movies that Disney cleared the toy with Ideal long ago or that even Duke Kaboom falls under parody of the toy. And if they didn't clear it, I can't imagine any toy company wanting to piss off Disney by filing a suit against. Not to mention that Disney can outlast pretty much anyone in court.

However, if the Knievels can sue for that, they definitely wants to sue for this because it's far closer to Evel than the toy.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Evel Knivel's son is suing Disney for similarities between his dad and Duke Caboom. The lawsuit alleges "monetary damages to its business, reputation and goodwill."

Yeah, this is actually a positive for the Knievals, as Duke reminds people of him and does zero to damage his rep.

How much money could the "Evel brand" be worth now anyway? No one under 50 remembers him.

Based on documentaries and what I know, Evel seemed like a fairly awful human being anyway. Showing a toy that resembles him but is a nice, heroic guy seems like a boost!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunseeker0128