1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toy Story 4 (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I thought it was great. Perhaps just barely my least favorite of the series, but I don’t mean that as a complaint. It’s a perfectly worthy film. I was a little worried going in considering how perfectly 3 wrapped up the “trilogy”, but I really enjoyed it and look at it as a feature length epilogue to the trilogy.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Visually it's very different because it uses a scope aspect ratio for the first time for this series. But I agree the quality is on par with the others. The ending is controversial for reasons we've already discussed in the thread. But I think they earned it.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, the first three are so incredibly good that it's tough for a fourth to match them. Considering that the movie is only about two months old, this is premature to say but I'd probably say the first and fourth ones are equals.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Is there a sequence of movies that has maintained the high level of quality that Toy Story has? I used sequence so to not exclude trilogies.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I would say How to Train Your Dragon has been similarly consistent, although those films were not made over nearly as long of a period. I would also say The Lord of the Rings would count on their own, although then they had to go make The Hobbit, so it doesn't really count anymore. I also really like all three Back to the Future films, although the sequels were more recreations of the first one and did not expand and deepen the series as much as Toy Story did.

Joe Wong likes this.
  6. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Supporting Actor

An aside since this is a Toy Story thread:

I also love all 3 BTTF films, though I would offer that Back to the Future 2 is one of the more underrated sequels in film history, and less a recreation of #1 than Back to the Future 3 turned out to be (only in a western setting). It advanced the story and characters ("No one calls me chicken!") while exploring the ramifications of time travel with even more dire consequences than in the original.

I loved its time hopping from present to future to past... seeing Hill Valley in 2015 was amazing! And a recent blockbuster even mentions that if one goes back in time, one should not bet on sporting results, which is the catalyst event in BTTF 2! Any minor complaints of mine would stem from its rather dark tone after they return from 2015, and ending on a cliffhanger.

I would guess that #2 is often dismissed due to the cliffhanger ending, and its relative complexity. I, myself, loved the twists and turns as the space-time continuum is fractured.

Bravo to Zemeckis and team!

7. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Supporting Actor

I would say the Mad Max series is fairly high quality, with many critics even proclaiming the the most recent entry is the best one!

8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Even with the examples we've mentioned over the last few posts, I think Johnny's original point stands that the number of franchises that have produced all great films without a noticeable dip in quality is very, very small. Back to the Future is close, but not quite because of how much the sequels rely on the formula established by the first one. So far, I would say that Guardians of the Galaxy is up there, but a) they are a sub-franchise to the larger MCU, not completely independent and b) doing two great movies is not that hard; lots of franchises have two good ones and fall apart on a later sequel (the original Spider-Man trilogy and Terminator come to mind.) So we have to see if Gunn sticks the landing.

Pixar has also done great and worthy sequels in Finding Dory and Incredibles 2. But unlike those, Toy Story 4 had the unique and scary challenge of continuing a trilogy which absolutely did stick the landing and which pretty much everyone (including most of the filmmaking team, have admitted they thought was over. This film needed to find a compelling reason to continue that would enrich the characters and world even further. I think they absolutely did that here, and 4 stands credibly shoulder to shoulder with the other three. That is a very special thing.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't think any series has been as consistently great as the Toy Story movies. I love all of the Back To The Future movies but the sequels aren't as good as the original. With maybe one exception, I'd say the same for the Star Wars movies. Unlike those series, Toy Story doesn't have a movie that is just a marked step down from the best of the series.

Jake Lipson and Johnny Angell like this.
  10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    All these mentioned sequels are good, but IMHO, none of them touch me emotionally like the TS films do.

Jake Lipson likes this.