What's new

Toy Story 2: Special Edition..... due Dec. 26th (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
There is a "buy 2 save $6" at Target for TS1 and TS2. I am doing that, since I have a $3 off that came with Cinderella.

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason, my FYE store had this out early, along with Dark Water (the remake) and Into the Blue. They were selling it for $28.99, though. :thumbsdown: I guess they wanted to get these on the shelves before Christmas.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks, Joel!

Hmmmm. I've got two $3 coupons in my Disney DVD Insider booklet that came with Cinderella. One is for $3 off the new 2-disc Toy Story. The other is for ANY Disney DVD! Both expire 12/31/05. I don't see any reason why I couldn't use them both on the Target deal! :D Woohoo!

Now if I could only get Boulet to post that darn review! ;)

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't there also a $3 coupon for Toy Story 2 in the Toy Story 10th anniversary DVD?

Yep, just checked...mine has one.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
There is also a $3 of Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition in TS 2. Also has one for Incredibles.

Can't wait to watch both TS this weekend-still haven't watched the new TS1 yet.

Also, is it worth keeping the TS 2-Pack for any extras not ported over? I have to check, but I think that set has some Pixar short(s) on it that the new discs may not.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

sorry for the delay...I'm in charge of helping set up for Christmas eve service at my church and I've been getting home at 11pm for the last 3 nights and haven't had a moment to get reviewing. For those of you in "emergency mode" on this who have a pre-order on the line, all you need to do is read my Toy Stoy 10th anniversary edition and substitute TS2...the PQ and sound quality are that much better in exactly the same way.

Ok...I'll have it up by Monday at the latest!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...even in the absence of David's review...I figured it would probably be worth my while if the right deal came along. And, it did! :D

As I just reported over in the Weekly RoundUp in Coupons & Bargains:

Those prices really help ease the sting of a double dip on the Ultimate Toy Box.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Until I see some A/B testing against the UTB then no way id every dip again on this movie. The UTB was in everyones list of the best DVD release ever when it came out.

No way its better and the only way your going to see it is seeing screenshots of some very careful a/b testing.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
yah, but that dvd was released years ago...

I think people are just upset that a dvd set that was once top shelf in both A/V and collectable pricing, is now almost obselete save the short films that it holds.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I don't know if the UTB is "obsolete." Doesn't it have some extras that the new DVDs don't have?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sorry guys...the holidays (and everything going on in them) got a hold of me and I haven't had a chance to write this one up!

I *did* do careful A/B and I *told* everyone a few posts earlier that both picture and sound were meaningfully improved in the same way that the last Toy Story 10th Anniversary was improved over the original box-set release. Better picture (subtle, but visible for high-res viewers) and the DTS audio UTTERLY SMOKES the 5.1 DD on the original DVD.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Yes, yes I read your post.

I posted because I dont belive you. ..I am entitled to my own opinion, no?
Pretty much nothing you can print on paper will make me change my mind either...but if your that interested in doing so you can start by listing your display devices.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I suspect the new version is different but is it better, is it how it was intented to be viewed?

"smokes" is a HUGE leap past different so as far as I am concerned the new version would have to either be the accurate version or the inaccurate version if the changes are so dramatic.

Meanwhile I definately wont be parting with my UTB...as far as I am concerned the Toy Story 2 version in it is the real one and how it was meant to be viewed and the DD EX 5.1 audio was how it was meant to be heard.

Besides, when the original came out things were much smoother between Disney and Pixar....and we all know that Disney is the master of smoke and mirrors.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Toy Story UTB vs. 10th anniversary magnified comparisons

The consensus is that if you have a large display, the new version is the way to go. People with smaller displays probably won't notice much of a difference. I'm sticking with the UTB since I watch movies on my computer and don't have a 5.1 system.

The issue of the new sound mix is probably more contentious than the video quality.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

You're entitled to your opinion and furthermore, nobody is trying to change your mind on anything. If you're happy with the previous release then be happy with it.

Since that's settled, let's move on, shall we.

Robert Crawford
HTF Administrator

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks