Toy story 2, is only the ult. toy box in DD-EX?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Saw the menu for ts2 ult toy box and there is a special selection for DD-EX. My original TS2 single doesn't have such a feature, is it in EX too?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
It should be, from what I remember. Of course I only have the Toy Box, and if you dont, you should go get it now, as it is still one of the best dvds ever made

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The discs are the same. UTB comes with w third extra's disc and fancy packaging...
Wrong. The first two discs are completely different. In the UTB, the first two discs have commentaries and sound-effects only tracks (the sound effects tracks might be in the barebones discs as well). There's also the Buzz Lightyear commercial, a documentary on TS1, the 50 Toy Story Treats interstitials, etc. The two movie discs are different, and no space is wasted on a 1.33:1 transfer for TS2.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I know for a fact they are not the same. My TS2(individual) has a totally different THX intro, different main menu, different individual menus. I do not have the selection for DDEX on any of the options menus. I know the ult toy box does have this menu because I have seen it. I just wanted to know if the disk I have is in DDEX or just DD 5.1.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey Jeff, I know why you are asking

According to the Disney site, the "single" version, the 2 disc set, as well as the Ultimate Toy Box should all have the EX track, but it doesn't say if it is selectable or not. All should be THX mastered, but I don't really know if the other two actually have the EX track or not.
*edit- I find it interesting that nobody has a definitive answer on this, including Disney.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
The content of the discs may be different, but aren't the video transfers and the audio tracks of the movies identical?

BillM

Auditioning
Jeff,

TS2 is an EX mix. But...

It was released before Dolby had updated their encoding and decoding hardware to embed an EX bitflag in the ac3 stream. So if you have an amplifer that has 6.1 channels, you will have to manually set the decoder for EX.

Remember EX is in the dub, so if it is mixed that way you can always decode the Cs track.

WM

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
attlasrex