What's new

Toy Story 2 Censored Scene (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm not attempting to veer anywhere. That sleazy scene shouldn't have been in a G-rated children's film in the first place and Disney did the right thing by removing it for this rerelease.

I didn't say you were attempting to veer in that direction, but you are, nonetheless.

You're outraged by this scene now but I'm betting you thought nothing of it in terms of offensiveness 20 years ago. I recall no public outrage about Stinky Pete then - or now, really.

Which is part of the irony: Disney's brought way more attention to the scene due to this "censoring" than would've occurred otherwise. As far as I can tell, no one ever got into a lather about it then or now.

The point remains that altering movies based on changing societal mores is a slippery slope.

When you advocate it for "TS2", you start down that aforementioned path where anything is up for grabs in terms of being altered due to offensiveness.

I'm against it 100% of the time. You don't change art because society changes - and even if the material was offensive in its day, which you seem to claim, it existed as it was and that should remain the case...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My question is this. Does censoring a product; that's already been seen and taken in by the general public for 20 years; help to correct bad behaviour or does it bring further magnification to a segment that has left a sect of the population offended? My gut is telling me that the scene will now take on an isolated life of its own. I never owned Toy Story 2, but I went to my Best Buy on Sunday to see if I could locate the original Blu Ray; but they had already been replaced with the newer edition, in conjunction to its 4K/UHD counterpart. Rights of woman and the owners of this Disney product are very important, too; but, personally, I will not be purchasing Toy Story 2 based on my own dislikes of a product not being intact of its established history and of a product that did not advertise, market or make a modest notation of its changes or alterations on the front or back of the slipcase.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The film wasn't made strictly for kids. It is a general audience film meaning it is meant to appeal to a wide audience. None of Pixar's or Disney's films are strictly kids films. Walt Disney's classic films were not made as children's films.

No kids get the joke anyway. It's there solely for the adults in the crowd.

The notion Mark apparently advances that the scene will corrupt young minds boggles my mind! :eek:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My question is this. Does censoring a product; that's already been seen and taken in by the general public for 20 years; help to correct bad behaviour or does it bring further magnification to a segment that has left a sect of the population offended? My gut is telling me that the scene will now take on an isolated life of its own.

That's my thought, as no one would've given 2 craps if the scene stayed in the movie. It's been there for 20 years without any outrage of which I'm aware, and even in the current climate, I doubt there was gonna be an uproar.

Disney brought way more attention to the scene this way - and maybe that was their intention. The publicity makes people more aware of the "TS2" reissue than otherwise would've been the case!

Reactions: PMF

Mark VH

Second Unit
Things that can be true at the same time:

1) The scene in question is weird, kind of creepy and in poor taste for 1999, 2019 or 1939, and is especially so in light of the allegations about Lasseter in recent years.
2) For preservation's sake the scene should be available and viewable in some form.
3) Disney, as the rights-holder and distributor of the film, has every right to excise the scene from whatever product they put into the marketplace. They're under zero obligation to keep it in if they choose not to.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In terms of leaving the scene in for the purposes of discussion, I feel that Disney lost an opportunity;
and, perhaps, should have taken the following route:

1) Leave the original blooper reel intact.
2) On the next installment of Toy Story, follow-up with a bit in which Stinky Pete gets caught and carried away in handcuffs for his past behaviors.

End results:
a) Morality wins out.
b) The truths of the past need not be censored nor hidden.
c) Story told and the discussions become further expanded.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Or like they did for a dozen years and the original Theatrical presentations -- use the original credit roll without the outtakes.

The audience who saw the film the first month never saw them (approx 2/3 of the box office would have been prior to the reel change), the people who bought the DVD for over 10 years never saw them as part of the film and could only see them if they went to the Bonus Sections. Eliminate the Outtakes or Bonuses like they've done with so many other or just left them unseen and untalked about by most people

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm not aware that Disney's decision to excise that fake blooper scene was driven by an outside group.

Here's why the outtake was removed from the credits...because if they leave it in at any moment there could be a protest about it being in the film post the METOO movement. This means if they are not proactive in removing it somebody could be called out on the carpet for leaving it in. That means that somebody or several somebodies would need to be the fall guy or fall woman for not deleting the scene and would be fired and publicly crucified for being the person that "made the decision" to leave "offensive content" in the film.

Left to their own devices and if there were no chance of reprisal they would just leave the scene in. The thing is you now face the court of public opinion in the terrifying form of social media. So, at any second somebody could post the offensive scene and accuse Disney of "promoting or finding amusing" that kind of behavior.

I don't think the issue is at all Disney execs sitting around talking about being offended by the scene. It is likely Disney lawyers explaining how this opens them to a potential problem and that the solution is to get out ahead of that "problem" by proactively eliminating the scene. They can now say "THEY ALL" agreed the scene should be removed and claim they think "THE FILMMAKERS" should have never created it...even if this is about as true as the claim they poop ice cream and pee rainbow sprinkles.

The scene itself can be blamed on the filmmakers that wrote it and then chose to include it in their film. Obviously, at the time they did this nobody at Disney was crying foul that the scene was added. THEY DID NOT CARE.

Execs tend to be judged solely on profit margins, not on if people are offended...they don't care about that if the cash is pouring in. Execs are not the "moral conscious" of the company, they concern themselves with profit, not morals. They pay lawyers to keep the company out of trouble. This was a move to prevent a backlash against the company.

So, bottom line is Disney cut the scene themselves without being forced to or in the wake of a massive public outcry...but they did it out of fear of that potential public outcry. So, to call this just an internal decision would be to ignore what the truth is.

This is now the norm for the decision making process because the public will find a nearly 50 year old interview with John Wayne and hold a public trial on social media finding him guilty and anybody involved with him guilty of being horrible. So, now being involved with bringing out a John Wayne film on a home video format COULD BE seen as approving of John Wayne's past behavior.

Nobody will want to put themselves on the line for something like that. Again, somebody will end up having to be the one that said "I made the decision not to cut that." or "I made the decision to release that to the public."

The court of public opinion now is an immediate firing squad that could potentially cost you your entire career and reputation in a single day...and you don't know what might set them off to start the flood of enraged "tweets."

Somebody stumbles across an article containing something you said, maybe as a joke, 30 years ago and suddenly it is posted and reposted hundreds of thousands of times on social media until the news media starts reacting to it as well and...well...you are cooked.

Should it be an issue to offend people? Absolutely not. If you are offended by something, that's your problem. People can take offense to ANYTHING and they often do. People should be offended. They need to be offended. It is healthy to offend people. It is not a crime...yet...but we are treating it as one.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Humor and entertainment are supposed to be edgy. If they start this now, where will it end? This politically correct virus is infecting everything. It's very sad. The new Dumbo was terrible because they eviscerated everything we love about the original. The new Dumbo was so bad it was hard to sit through it once -- forget about ever watching it again. The old movies are so good, I cannot get enough of them. I want to watch them over and over. The new movies are hard to sit through once.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...The old movies are so good, I cannot get enough of them. I want to watch them over and over. The new movies are hard to sit through once.
Well, that's on you. Ultimately, I think every era is the same - there are a handful of great things, a handful of awful things, and a vast swath of mediocrity. The thing is, we only tend to remember the good stuff from the past.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Disney has every right to change anything and everything about what it owns.
See post number 58.

You can choose to keep the DVD or Blu-ray you already own and decline to buy the rerelease version with the blooper missing.
People could have also chosen not to watch that which offends them. Disney gave no choice with the new release.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I would suppose Disney was over concerned about this scene do to the past history with John Lassiter. After all, he resigned after complaints about being improper with female employees.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
If they start this now, where will it end?

I don't think it is ending at any point soon. I think it is just expanding at this point. I am hearing now that older films that may be considered "offensive" will just end up being ignored because nobody will want to be the person responsible for the films getting shown and being made available.

If you make the picture available you can be accused of "promoting or supporting" whatever it is people find offensive about it. Who will want to risk being tarred and feathered that way?

Are there really more "offended" people today than there were in the past? I don't think so. They just have a medium to be heard in a much louder way now with the internet. Also I do believe that some of this "social media noise" is being falsely generated just to stir people up.

Is that dangerous and a problem? Sure, it helped elect a president of this country, that's bigger than just cutting silly scenes from a cartoon.

Where "censorship" is most powerful though is when you get people to think about writing or creating something before they create it...because they are afraid of being tarred and feathered for doing so...so they just never write or create that thing.

This has already begun and companies like Disney will not create new projects unless they are censored right from the start...before they shoot them or draw them.

To me this murders creativity and that is not at all how you should approach writing or creating...by starting with a list of things that can't be mentioned or should be avoided. Part of art is provocation and so your aim is to provoke people to engage them. To make them laugh, cry, jump, think, offend them, whatever.

The problem with all the films that have already been made and released is someone can take offense to any of them. They can find something in every film ever made to be offended or upset by.

The proper response to that is to allow the person to be offended. That's their thing but not to punish people for offending them through an art form or some form of self expression. That's how you create thought police and believe me, we do have some people that want thought police in the worst way.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I would suppose Disney was over concerned about this scene do to the past history with John Lassiter. After all, he resigned after complaints about being improper with female employees.

Yeah, I suspect that it wasn't just "MeToo" that prompted this.

If "MeToo" remained outside of the Disney sphere, this scene probably remains intact. The Lasseter scandal makes it hit closer to home, however...

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes -- the Buzz Burp and later the Stinky Pete "I guess that's why they call me Stinky Pete" line is there.

Here's what I can find in my collection --
2000 Ultimate Toy Box DVD -- no outtakes, Full Screen credit roll with about 1 minute of Woody's Roundup and then Goulet's You Got a Friend in Me. Outtakes are separate in the Bonus materials

2005 TS2 Special Edition DVD -- no outtakes. Full Screen Credit Roll

I'm assuming the BD and DVD in the 2010/2015 releases both have the Outtakes incorporated
The 2019 is edited and the Digital Copies have been changed.

Can't say anything about the VHS, but unless I'm missing an item then the outtakes first reappeared incorporated into the Credits with the BD release (11 years without them, 9 years with them)
I remember seeing TS2 in a theater- the outtakes were part of the end credits (I do remember Stinky Pete farting, then commenting on what he did).
Is the censored scene intact on the Ultimate Toy Box supplemental material?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing TS2 in a theater- the outtakes were part of the end credits (I do remember Stinky Pete farting, then commenting on what he did).
Is the censored scene intact on the Ultimate Toy Box supplemental material?

Sure--like Jesse said earlier, it was added after the first 4-6 weeks to the rest of the run. Maybe to bump repeat viewings, maybe for some other reasons, but it wasn't part of the original month plus and it wasn't part of the Movie Credits on Home Video and is just there in the Bonuses (at least on the first 2 DVD releases) again until 2010 unless someone can confirm a separate release has it. I do think the Digital had the credit/outtakes until the 4K release and Digital were 'upgraded"

I honestly don't remember when I took my kids to see it and have zero memory of the credit roll -- and I sit through credits pretty much 100%. I doubt we would have gone Thanksgiving week due to the crowds and could have seen it the week before or week after Christmas when the last reel was changed

I'm not even commenting on right/wrong/good/bad, but
1) Most people didn't see it originally in theater with the scene there
2) Most people didn't see it on Home Video during the actual movie for more than a decade after the move

It was a bit more than the Episode IV A New Hope tag that was added in 1981 well after the original run was over. Possibly more like some of the variations of Star Wars which were shown in the initial run -- some folks swore were always part of the movie they say and other tell them they're crazy (Close the Blast Doors, Open the Blast Doors)

It reminds me more of the argument over which logo is shown at the beginning or end of the movie or the truncated Savannah Sounds leading into the Opening Shot of Lion King though all that happened well after it left the theater.

Maybe more like the Extended Edition of Avatar which ran simultaneously though started well after the initial success and glut of customers (though less important since it has no bearing on the actual movie)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks