What's new

Toy Story 2 Censored Scene (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
the mouse will come to our door and with that disney magic (trademark) will remove the offending scene from the movie dvd for me. :D

(but will not know i have blu ray and blu ray 3D hahahahaha!)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I believe that he is referring to the morality of what Disney is doing versus the legality of what they are doing. Scrooge had the legal right to confiscate their store but was it the moral or proper thing to do? The answer is no. The same applies to Disney.

Spot on.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
@Mark Booth - Respectfully, that's not the issue. The issue is whether any group who finds something offensive should have the power to prevent it from being distributed to or viewed by others who do not. Reminds me of George Carlin's rant on the FCC.

But that is not the case here. The group doing the editing is the owner of the piece, the rights holder themselves. If it was an outside group stepping in, like the government or the MPAA, you would have a point.

IMO, that would be when people should get up in arms over an edit like this. Artists and rights holders change their work all the time for various reasons.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
But that is not the case here. The group doing the editing is the owner of the piece, the rights holder themselves.

Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding or misreading. If not then I'm confused and we may just disagree on a fundamental level.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding or misreading. If not then I'm confused and we may just disagree on a fundamental level.

I probably misunderstood. I thought you were describing Disney as one of the offended groups trying to stop the distribution to others by editing the scene, saying it was akin to outside groups.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Again, understood and agreed but did you ever mistake Disney for a company that had a moral compass? Walter was perhaps the only one and that was a long time ago.

I've known for a long time that today's Disney is far from the company that I grew up with. So much so that it seems rather ridiculous to call them the Walt Disney Company anymore.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Since I projected this movie on 35mm when it was out, let me clarify where this offending bit occurs:

It was NOT present in the very first showings. The original version did not have any outtakes, just plain end credits on a black background (Robert Goulet's "You've Got A Friend in Me" continues through this). On Christmas, they sent out a new final reel to swap with the existing one that included the outtakes, which played in a box on half the screen as the credits scrolled on the other half (an instrumental version of "Woody's Roundup" plays under these, with a sung verse at the very end as final credits scroll after the outtakes have ended- eliminating the Robert Goulet track). The DVD in the "Ultimate Toy Box" set includes the original plain end credits and has the outtakes shown in 4x3 full screen separately as an extra (you do not get to hear the end of the "Woody's Roundup" song in this case). I don't know how any versions after that have done it, but this is how it was during its first theatrical run and first appearance on DVD.

At the time, I was more surprised at another outtake where Stinky Pete farts- it used to be you could not do that and get a G rating. Is that still in the new version?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes -- the Buzz Burp and later the Stinky Pete "I guess that's why they call me Stinky Pete" line is there.

Here's what I can find in my collection --
2000 Ultimate Toy Box DVD -- no outtakes, Full Screen credit roll with about 1 minute of Woody's Roundup and then Goulet's You Got a Friend in Me. Outtakes are separate in the Bonus materials

2005 TS2 Special Edition DVD -- no outtakes. Full Screen Credit Roll

I'm assuming the BD and DVD in the 2010/2015 releases both have the Outtakes incorporated
The 2019 is edited and the Digital Copies have been changed.

Can't say anything about the VHS, but unless I'm missing an item then the outtakes first reappeared incorporated into the Credits with the BD release (11 years without them, 9 years with them)

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
At the time, I was more surprised at another outtake where Stinky Pete farts- it used to be you could not do that and get a G rating. Is that still in the new version?

Really? I never knew of farts as being "automatic PG".

Crap, I watched "Andromeda Strain" a while back - it has a hot topless woman and is G!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The irony is that people used to talk about Disney animators sneaking in "naughty stuff". Now Disney has adopted an Orwellian attitude.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'll say one thing. I couldn't care less about Disney having the "right" to censor content because they hold the copyright. I'm never going to agree to or defend the "right" of any Studio, Disney or otherwise, to remove, alter or suppress content that they arbitrarily decide is offensive after years and years of existence. The only thing they have a "right" to is to put a warning in front of the film stating that it contains content that some may find offensive or disturbing. That is it.

arbitrary - existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable act of will

There's nothing arbitrary about finally realizing that an old man hitting on two much younger women is unacceptable behavior, particularly in the context of the history of the Hollywood casting couch.

The producers and directors and other men of power that used their station to prey on women is inexcusable. Period.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
@Mark Booth - Respectfully, that's not the issue. The issue is whether any group who finds something offensive should have the power to prevent it from being distributed to or viewed by others who do not.

I'm not aware that Disney's decision to excise that fake blooper scene was driven by an outside group. At least, not directly. It appears to me that Disney made the decision on its own. And Disney has every right to change anything and everything about what it owns.

Your George Carlan analogy is accurate is in this context: You can choose to keep the DVD or Blu-ray you already own and decline to buy the rerelease version with the blooper missing. You get to switch the radio knob selector to "Past Version" or "New Version" and nobody is preventing you from choosing which path to take.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The children who've seen that scene for 20 years are more socially conscious and "woke" than any prior generation. Shocking to realize, but a joke about Stinky Pete hitting on women didn't corrupt their little minds!

Even if the scene was as awful as you apparently believe, it exists and is part of the movie.

That shouldn't change. You're veering dangerously into "slippery slope" territory with your defense of its deletion...

I'm not attempting to veer anywhere. That sleazy scene shouldn't have been in a G-rated children's film in the first place and Disney did the right thing by removing it for this rerelease.

Mark

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The film wasn't made strictly for kids. It is a general audience film meaning it is meant to appeal to a wide audience. None of Pixar's or Disney's films are strictly kids films. Walt Disney's classic films were not made as children's films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not attempting to veer anywhere. That sleazy scene shouldn't have been in a G-rated children's film in the first place...
The scene was intended as a joke. It's aged horribly but to say that it never should have been in there suggests that there was some kind of bad intent on the part of Pixar for putting it in there in the first place.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm not aware that Disney's decision to excise that fake blooper scene was driven by an outside group. At least, not directly. It appears to me that Disney made the decision on its own. And Disney has every right to change anything and everything about what it owns.

I see your point and, as previously stated, respect and support their "right" to do so, even though it amazes me that they would in this case.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's a good thing it isn't owned by Disney.

I don't think Disney would've altered "Andromeda Strain" - there's nothing controversial about the nudity I mention.

I brought it up as an indicator of how ratings changed. It boggles my mind that a movie with a topless woman - and also a bare male butt - got a "G"!

One could view the rating of potentially controversial but not the nudity itself, so I don't think there's any chance Disney would've altered it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks