Toxic Avenger 21st Anniversary Edition in March

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe:C, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

Here's a copy and paste from the Troma website.

In 1984, a legend was born that forever changed the face of American cinema...

After falling into a misplaced barrel of nuclear waste, nerdy 90 pound janitor Melvin Junko was transformed into The Toxic Avenger, the world-famous hideously deformed creature of superhuman size and strength! The rest, as they say, is history. The Toxic Avenger went on to become a cult smash, spawning three sequels (so far...), comic books, action figures, websites and even a children’s cartoon series! This special Limited Edition two disc set features a digitally remastered Tromorphic widescreen presentation, along with exclusive, never-before-seen interviews with directors Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz, and stars Robert Prichard, Dan Snow and Mitch Cohen, the original Toxic Avenger! Plus, interviews with Toxie fans from around the world, an exclusive look at “The Toxic Avenger: The Musi-Kill,” and more!

DVD Features:

The original The Toxic Avenger movie, in 1.85:1 Tromorphic Widescreen
    Brand-new introduction by Lloyd Kaufman, president of Troma Entertainment and the creator of The Toxic Avenger
    New feature-length commentary by Lloyd Kaufman
    Numerous fan projects, including cartoons, original short films, re-inactments and more
    Scenes and songs from “The Toxic Avenger: The Musi-Kill”
    “Toxie in Africa” short
    New interviews with original cast members Robert Prichard, Dan Snow and Mitch Cohen, the original Toxic Avenger
    A rare on-camera interview with The Toxic Avenger co-directors Michael Herz and Lloyd Kaufman
    The original theatrical trailers for all for Toxic Avenger movies
    Preview for the Make Your Own Damn Movie box set
    Lloyd Kaufman’s world-famous award-winning short The Radiation March
    Tromatic trailers, and much more!
    See The Toxic Avenger as you've never seen it before!!!

This product will be in stock on Tuesday 29 March, 2005.

Go to the Troma site and you can see the cover-art as well. Does anyone have any more info as to why this is being released in widescreen? I thought all of Tromas's movies were 1.33:1. I would think it was just cropped, but the back cover says "see more action with Tromamorphic widescreen".

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

The last release had some episodes from the animated series I believe, are they not going to be included on this new set?

3. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Talk about rare. I'm not even sure I know what Herz looks like. Of course it could be Joe Fleishaker as "Michael Herz" like in the commercials for Everything I Know....
    I own the Tox Box (Signed by Lloyd Kaufman and numbered #6 of 500 btw[​IMG]) but I'll be buying this anyway as I am a huge Toxie and Troma fan.

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

It doesn't look like any of the extras included in the original DVD (the one included in the Tox Box) are on the new DVD anyway.

5. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

I never did get the chance to pick that up. What was Lloyd's reason for not shooting in widescreen?

6. Bob clamer

Bob clamer Supporting Actor

Can't wait for this one. [​IMG]

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

So the aspect ratio has been altered on this new release?

How does the old transfer hold up? I've never gotten around to picking up The Tox Box yet though I pass it by often retailing for very cheap.

I've never seen any of the films before but used to watch the cartoons regularly as a kid... Should I stick with the first movie or are the sequels worth checking out as well?

8. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

Right from the troma website

https://buy.tromamovies.com/help/ind...pic=Troma+DVDs

Q: Why aren't most Troma movies available in widescreen?

A: Lloyd Kaufman prefers to shoot his films in what's known as full-aperture. Instead of shooting with an Academy Flat ratio (1.85:1) or CinemaScope ratio (2.35:1), he shoots with using the full frame of the camera. This allows for a full viewing experience in both the cinema and home video.

Some of our pick-ups, such as Chad Ferrin's Unspeakable, are shot in a widescreen format, and that's the way they are distributed.

I remember seeing the Toxic Avenger LD widescreen and from what I remember its just the matted full screen.

9. Bill GrandPre

If your only frame of reference is the animated show, you're in for a shock. I'd be amazed if there was a single person on planet earth who wouldn't be offended by at least one thing in each of their movies. In any case, they're gloriously offensive and hilariously cheap and amateurish, with a lot of corny humor. As for the "Toxie" movies, the first one is an undeniable classic, but the second and third movies (which were shot as one movie and split into two when the final cut ran extremely long) are terrible, and not in any sort of fun way that you would usually expect from Troma. They dialed down the gore in an attempt to reach a wider audience, and their attempt at intentional humor was nowhere near as effective as the unintentional humor in the original film. "Citizen Toxie", on the other hand, is probably the greatest movie Troma has ever released. I highly recommend the first and fourth movies but I'd advise that you stay away from the second and third. There's a reason why they apologize for them in the recap in the fourth film.

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Bill... now I'm debating the advantages of this new 2-disc release versus the Tox Box. I'd like to know for sure which has the proper aspect ratio and I'd also like to know which of the two deliver the better extras... my main draw to the Tox Box is the inclusion fo cartoons from the television series. Could anyone who owns the set tell me how many episodes are featured? For the bargain price, it mioght be worth it to pick up the Tox Box for the first and fourth movies alone, plus there's a plethora of extras. But seeing as I'm not really a fan, I'm sure the first film would satisfy my for starters and a 2-disc Special Edition is easier and convenient... but I really want to get the cartoons and framing is a must as I refuse to buy any film that is not in it's proper aspect ratio!

11. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

I believe it's the first 4 (season 1?) episodes edited into a single 90 minute movie.....yes one big movie. It is not individual episodes.

12. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Charlie, I remember hearing plans of a seperate release of strictly the animated series... do you know if that is still in the works?

If so, I might just go for that along with the two-disc special edition of the first film..

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    21 years ago? Good grief, I feel old. Just what I needed on Monday morning. . . [​IMG]

14. Bill GrandPre

The "Tox Box" doesn't include the awesome fourth movie anyways. It's just the first three plus the animated "movie". Troma has recently started issuing the seperate episodes. A couple weeks ago they issued a DVD with the first four episodes.

15. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Bill!

Looks like I can scratch the Tox Box off my list than!

16. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'm on the fence on these as well. I remeber liking the goofy Troma flicks back in the day, but not sure I can justify them now.

17. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

When I went to Troma to check out the cover art and check out the new online store and I saw that Vol. 1 of The Toxic Crusaders is available for $7.95.

18. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

It comes out tomorrow.

Anyone reviews? I'm wondering whether it's worth the double-dip or not.

19. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I'm curious as well. It has a lot of extras, but the widescreen thing is the only issue I can see.

20. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I haven't really watched it, I just popped it in to see how the movie looked. Apparently TROMORPHIC WIDESCREEN just means 4:3 letterbox. [​IMG]