towers with powered subs?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Patrick-J, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

Question: Is there a downside to having a pair of tower main speakers with powered side firing subs instead of a separate sub? The Definitive Technologies BP 2006TL comes to mind having this design. I was thinking of going this route instead of a separate sub-woofer, and was wondering if having the subs in the towers caused any potental vibration problems or any other issues?

One other point to mention is that I'm just trying to match or better the bass response of the Energy 8" sub ithey would be replacing. I know that I won't get that bowel liqifying, Taos Hum producing SVS or HSU effect, but that's not what I'm going for.

Thanks

Patrick

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have DefTech 2000's and the subwoofers are turned off in favor of a single SVS in the corner.

The L/R speaker placement while good for mid-range/tweeter is not the best place for bass sources in your room.

The only problem I ever had with the side-fire speakers is when I went to level-adjust. One speaker was louder than the other! This freeked me out because I had just spent 3 months waiting for these speakers and now they appeared damaged. Turns out one side of my system was open, the other side had a wall about 4 ft away. The subwoofer was reflecting off the side wall and giving a higher volume. I had to turn down the sub on that side to get things to balance.

Other than that - no vibrational problems even with a 50" RPTV between the towers.

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Patrick,

Here is a great article over at secrets discussing the pros and cons of separate subwoofers.

FWIW, I think the job of a quality subwoofer (like SVS or Hsu) is to faithfully reproduce the recorded material. The only time they should seem overly powerful is when the material calls for it.

-Robb

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I had a pair of Boston vr965's that were powered. I never sent the LFE cahnnel to them for movies however as I had a sub that was more than capable of handling the low-end. I set them to large for all material and the amps in them did a great job of giving the low/mid and bass a little oopmph. I think sending the LFE to them could cause some cancelation issues as well as a lot of placement issues. I do think that powered towers are great though and certainly have a purpose. I would not be too concerned about things shaking up inside too much. Def Tech is known for there powered towers and have been making them for awhile. Odds are they are of fine build quality.
    I do know that a lot of companies have dropped their powered lines for the most part....Boston and the Paradigm Legends come to mind. Not sure if this is for any specific quality any other issue but it does bear mentioning. It is probably because there was not a lot of demand though for them in there own repective line-up.

5. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

Thanks for the info guys. Robb that was a great article thanks.

Patrick