towers/receiver for $800

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by kuttaS, Apr 1, 2006.

1. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

looking for a receiver and towers for around 800 bux. i used to have a denon 1804 coupled with energy 5.2's but the speakers blew on my graduation party. we just moved to a bigger house and the room is pretty big too. Can you guys recommend something that will go REALLY LOUD while maintaining good sound. its mostly going to be used for hip/hop music and for movies occasionaly. i am not sure if i should invest in a 5.1 receiver or just get a 2.1. please SUGGEST... the speakers i am looking at rite now are the wharfedales 8.4's, athena f2.2's, paradigm studios, klipsch... but i cant really go listen to these since there arent any stores that carry these speakers near my house. i have no clue on what receiver i should get...the only good brands i know of are denon/marantz

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

If you intend to play Hip-Hop LOUD I think you need a sub regardless of your main speakers. Frys stores usally has a sale on a Onkyo 573 reciever for 199.99 every few weeks.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3241451

www.vanns.com and search for a Mirage S12 subwoofer

3. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

yea i agree with the subwoofer suggestion. but if you want loud speakers go look at Cerwin Vega. they sell more "old school" speakers with big 15" woofers and the like so they get LOUD. recievers, ive always been a fan of Harmon-Kardon and they have a good stereo reciever the 3380 or the 3480 that can be found in the $200-300 range.
    Happy hunting

4. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

i already have a dayton 10inch sub and plan on using that...

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you want loud speakers for hip-hop music at parties, you really need something totally different. Even Klipsch may not be "loud" enough if you're blowing speakers. Look into pro audio speakers like for PA use at your local Guitar Center type store. e.g. Mackie, JBL, Yamaha, all make good stuff that will play super, super loud. You may need to turn the treble down a bit, because at loud volumes those compression drivers can rip your head off.

6. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

before i was considering the low end b&w's and paradigms....so i shouldnt be considering those any more? since its not really "audiophile use"

7. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

It depends what is really important to you. If you want it really loud in a big room then no. If you want something that will be loud enough for most people and sound great while doing it I would go with the paradigms or check out ascend acoustics.

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer