Towers or Monitors/Bookshelf speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darrin_R, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Darrin_R

Darrin_R Stunt Coordinator

I not really looking for a recommendation on a certain brand, but rather the type of speaker. Its time to upgrade once again. I have owned both monitors and towers. Both have there advantages, but I cant decide which type I should go with this time.

Last night I dug some old Rogers LS5's that I bought back in the 80's. They were tucked away in a closet. Set them on some old speaker stands and they sounded great. I didnt have that floor bounce which creates a dip at 250hz that I get with my towers. The result was more punch and less grunt.

Any opinions on which type of speaker is better. Pros and Cons. Its hard to shop for a speaker with out narrowing the type, let alone the brand.

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Sounds like you already answered your own question.

-rob

3. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'd like some more options if anyone has them to share.
    I'll be looking for speakers to compliment my SVS 20-39 Sub soon, and I'm out on the Tower Vs. Bookshelf thing. Just dunno which I should do.

Murdock

4. Rob Rodier

It is such a tough question to answer. You are the only ones who can decide. Also configuaration is huge. Sub or no sub etc.

The generalizations are that monitors image better, present a wider and deeper soundstage, and overall a better value for the tight budgets. The flip side is that most of the models that can hit the lower octaves (

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

My view is that an equivalently priced bookshelf type speaker will have higher quality components than a tower speaker because the larger cabinet costs more to manufacture. Hence, if you have a good subwoofer I recommend considering bookshelf type speakers, as long as they can meet your output requirements.

6. Darrin_R

Darrin_R Stunt Coordinator

I would always use subs to relieve the stress on the main amp which I guess creates more headroom for the mids/upper.

Rob I think you summed it up in one sentence. Towers speakers tend to play loader and lower........I dont care about lower, thats the subs job. I truely dont enjoy load music anymore (I must be getting old) I perfer articulate.

That being said. Can anyone recommend L/R bookshelfs under $1000

7. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Well... since you've already decided on an SVS sub, I dont see any hesitation. Get bookshelf's.

As for LR bookshelf's under 1K, I'm building the GR-research Criterions. They should be quite nice when they're done.

8. Rob Rodier