Towers or Bookshelf sized speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kleinke, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I'm researching what speakers I should get next (damn addiction)... Why would I want floor staning speakers when I can get wall mountable bookshelfs (like the polk RT25is I have) for far cheaper and I already own a SVS 20-39PC which seems to kick out plenty of bass.

Am I right in figureing that the big speakers are only better in the bass section?

Brian

2. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Call me stupid for not searching on this topic... I must just miss all the posts on this topic... In all the time I've been here this hasn't seemed like exactly a hot debate like Seperates vs Recievers [​IMG]
    Being that I am not a super bass head like so many ppl so crossover doesn't bother me as much... Why would I want towers?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I feel that floor standers are better for music. You get a perfect crossover with the correct slope as intended in the particular speaker's design. For HT, where you really are better off sending the LFE to a dedicated sub, there is less of a point to having large main speakers.

Personally, I just don't like most floor standers, and I am quite happy with my bookshelf/sub combo.

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Normally it depends how picky you are about your two channel stereo reproduction; the wider, seamless bandwidth of towers is usually preferable to the pickier types who shun the use of subs for music listening.

Given the quality of subwoofer you are using that would not apply, it's highly enjoyable for music (so I have read - never had the pleasure of listeing to one) so you should be able to put a bit more money into higher quality bookshelf speakers rather than floorstanders.

Oh, floorstanders can reach higher decibel levels than bookshelf in most cases.

5. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I have 4 floorstanding speaker towers, and the center is a small speaker, but I can honestly say that *EVERYONE* should have large speakers, because it makes everything sound fuller. Also, if you look at the booklets that come with DTS CDs and DVD-AUDIO and Super Audio CD, they say that FULL RANGE SPEAKERS on ALL CHANNELS is perferred. Towers, are usually full-range, so that's why I also perfer towers.

6. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

I like book shelves. I really wanted my tweeters to be at ear level (when sitting). The floor unit models (Dynaudio audience line) were not tall enough.

Jim