What's new

Towers as surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Would it be a waste to use some tower speakers as surrounds? It would be nice to have full range speakers in the back so I wouldn't have to select the size as small where it redirects the bass to the sub. The problems I see is that the cost would usually be more and positioning them would be more difficult since they could be too low and be blocked by furniture, etc... I was thinking of using a higher end tower for the fronts and a lower end version in the same line for rears. Any thoughts?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Robert- There have been other threads on this in the past.
You might try a search to find them.
But since you asked! :)
The consensus was, if you can afford it, and if you have the space, there is no good reason to *not* have towers in the back.
But you have to be a little careful, because direct radiators may localize themselves too much for Dolby Digital/DTS. (But for DVD-A and SACD, that's exactly what you want.)
I sort of did what you ask about: I have (older) Def Tech BP-20's in the rear (that used to be up front), and now newer BP-30's up front. Both are bipolar, which may help. I had dipoles (up high) in the back.
The way that I explain it, is that before, I was "under" the sound field, now I am in it. I find that the surrounds call less attention to themselves now than they did before.
But, your mileage may vary.
------------------

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
"But you have to be a little careful, because direct radiators may localize themselves too much for Dolby Digital/DTS. (But for DVD-A and SACD, that's exactly what you want.)"
But these a re discrete sound formats hence they need to be precise otherwise panning effects won't and you won't be able to pin point sounds the way it was supposed to be. Now dolby surround is a different story...Anyway, I have 4 towers and it works wonderful so if you can afford it, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks