Tower's all around...?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daniel*, May 15, 2006.

1. Daniel*

Daniel* Auditioning

I'm putting together a basic system for a bedroom in my house. The listening area is about 13x14 and is the room above the garage (has an A-frame style ceiling). With my room being as small as it is, I don't really think I have an ideal room for a 7.1 setup. But I'm wondering about the rear speakers. As of right now, I'm planning on a JBL EC25 (center) and two JBL E80's (front left and right).

My question comes in whether to go with two more E80's for rears, or go with Klipsch's S-3's. Most of my listening is music, but I do enjoy the occasionally movie/television, about 70/30. Would I be risking rear quality becuase of placement (the towers really can't be put above ear level, whereas the S-3's can be mounted/shelved) or should I go with the wider range of sound with the floor standing towers? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Danny

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You should timbre match, so try to go with JBLs. Aren't there any bookshelf JBLs that match?

3. AndrewLevine

AndrewLevine Stunt Coordinator

Towers all around would be your best option because I believe its either Dolby Digital or DTS that sends the full range of singals to all channels. However for most people that is not practical to have either for price, or in your case, room restrictions. For all intensive purposes I highly doubt you'd feel you were missing any sound quality if you went bookshelf vs. floorstanding in the rear as long as you picked up a nice subwoofer to go along with the set up.

Matching timbre is important for the smoothest sounding system. With that said I would stick with JBL. While Klipsch S-3's are impressive, matching their horn to your E80's 3/4" tweeter will sound a bit off. JBL makes other speakers in the Northridge series that would match your set up and be easier on your wallet. The E10 is wall mountable but the lowest on the totem pole of sound quality. Given the ability to mount a traditional bookshelf speaker an E20 or even an E30 would be your best options. The money that you'd be saving sticking with JBL over Klipsch could be invested in a good subwoofer (SVS, perhaps) to make up for >37 Hz freq. that the E80s really tend to drop off after.

With my first job as a salesman I have had a lot of experience dealing with Klipsch's Synergy series and JBL's Northridge- While both are decent sounding set ups I wouldn't interchange the two.

4. Daniel*

Daniel* Auditioning

Yea, I think I'm leaning a little more towards the 4 tower option since my ear will be above the seat, and maybe saving the two bookshelves for when I go 7.1.

5. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

you should seriously consider upgrading the center channel. the EC 25 doesn't cut it. The EC 35 is the way to go with your set up. It's far superior to the 25. They almost don't sound like they're in the same "family" of speakers.

I have the 35 with 30's for the fronts and 10's for the rears.

6. Daniel*

Daniel* Auditioning

Yea Marc, I'm leaning your direction too. (It seems everytime I think I have it, I just want better, haha). Definately, thanks for the input man. I'm thinking of getting the comparable products in their 'Venue" series. The numbers look pretty good, anybody heard them?