Towering Inferno - S.E. in the works

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gary Nash, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Gary Nash

Gary Nash Agent

While browsing >>unable to post url so try noblesgate and add co then uk !!

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'll have to keep an eye open for it. [​IMG]

3. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Great.

4. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

According to the IMDB, in 1974 dollars, it cost $14 million to make, and grossed $116 million in the USA alone. It was nominated for eight Oscars, including Best Picture, and won three. Hardly a "dud".

5. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich

I stand corrected. Dud was incorrect.

However, please, please, please don't tell me that you think this was the one of the top five pictures of 1974???

This was a joint venture between Warner and Fox so it had two studios "pushing" for awards for the same picture. Best Cinematography over Godfather Part II or Chinatown ??? ... please. Film editing, when the director is not nominated that's like saying the editor was a genius for being able to cut this film - perhaps well deserved. Best song? Pleasant song - no argument here.

Also, the budget was 14 million not the cost (according to whatever sources IMDB might have for this stuff). Supposedly, both McQueen and Newman got 7.5 percent of the gross (each) for their participation in this non-dud.

6. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

Regardless of the merits of The Towering Inferno as it compares with Chinatown or Godfather Part II (I happen to like all three for different reasons), I'm glad to hear that there may finally be some movement on a SE. When asked about this (and The Poseidon Adventure) during the HTF chat this past January, Peter Staddon of Fox Studio said that both had some rights issues which would prevent them from working on them at that point. Hopefully, these issues have been finally cleared. The DVD released in 1999 is bare-bones, non-anamorphic and lacking in almost every way.

rich_d...thread farting is against HTF rules. Thought I'd remind you before a moderator does.

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i think this news is more indicitive of a SE coming out in R2 (from WB) than it is from a forthcoming R1 SE (from Fox).

of course i could be wrong.

i'm happy to have the R4 of this movie, which is anamorphic and looks a good bit better than the non-a R1 (although the R1 has a pretty decent 5.1 track).

and while it may not be a 'great' film, i still find it to be a very entertaining movie.

in fact, this thread is a good reason to pull it out and watch it again [​IMG]

8. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Tony,

You're right. It was a thread fart. My bad.

I'll edit my original post and let you guys get back to it.

9. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

"Best Cinematography over Godfather Part II or Chinatown ??? ... please. Film editing, when the director is not nominated that's like saying the editor was a genius for being able to cut this film - perhaps well deserved. Best song? Pleasant song - no argument here."

All three of it's Awards were deserved IMO, and the film should have won a fourth for Best Score since it's silly IMO to say that "Godfather II" is a better and more memorable score than what John Williams wrote.

10. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

Well...when I was 12, I did. [​IMG]

But I'm with Tony and Paul: while even its biggest defenders may not use a word like "masterpiece" or whatever to describe it, I do think it's still a very entertaining "popcorn flick". And there's plenty of room in the movie world for those.

Especially when they're anamorphically-enhanced. [​IMG]

11. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

I watched this on laser a few months ago. While I no longer view it with the awe that I did as a seven or eight-year old, I think it has held up well. A very entertaining movie!

12. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I remember thinking at the time that Hollywood was going overboard with cheesy disaster flicks, but I thought that Towering Inferno was the best of the bunch.

13. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

14. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

So from what I see there's no official release date slated yet, but I'm guessing both of these special edtiions are coming out on May 9 to coincide with the May 12 theatrical release of the Poseidon remake. Anybody find a release date confirmation yet?

15. Steve JD

Steve JD Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone heard what the special features will be on this one? It's coming out in May.

I would love a cast commentary. And extra scenes shown in expanded tv version (although not put back in the movie unless they give us both versions on the dvds).

"One tiny rumour becomes a 3-month wait of blazing suspense!"

16. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    nevermind.

17. Steve JD

Steve JD Stunt Coordinator

18. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I always loved this movie growing up as well. My Mom took me to S.F to see some of the building they filmed at. Coincidentally I work right down the street from them now.

19. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I wonder if O.J. Simpson participated in the extras.