Towering Inferno,Earthquake & Airport 1975 OOP? Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Avery, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Alright, what's going on here, in fact, what has the world come to when you decide that, well yes, once in awhile you desperately (almost) need to watch one of those 'guilty pleasure' mid '70's disaster flicks that many of us fondly remember from our more youthful days only to be denied! OOP!!!?
    I almost had a fit because I unwittingly (or stupidly) let go of my Goodtimes dvd of Airport 1975 at least six months ago figuring "I won't REALLY miss it".(I only paid $11.00 cdn.) Well I'll confess that I DO miss it. And as for the other two, I had rented them both over a year ago thinking why bother purchasing them? Now I find out they are kaput and it turns out that both ebay and Amazon have them, usually between $30.00 - $50.00 ea. After calculating exchange & shipping to Canada it works out to be positively obscene. Am I missing something here besides good old supply and demand? Is there a glimmer of hope that they will be re released any time soon? I didn't check out Meteor as to its status but at least there is a copy of The Poseidon Adventure in my collection. I'll have to check it out (again) soon..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Well, the Towering Inferno is coming out soon again (just a re-release). Check Deep Discount DVD.

3. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

I picked up Earthquake for about $10 at FYE (US music store chain), and have seen the other movies around, too. Keep looking, they're out there for less than eBay prices.

Mike

4. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Hey those 70's disaster flicks are fun. Irwin Allen was one of the best.

I have Airport (not 75) on 2 different Good Times releases. The P&S version has better audio than the widescreen version. In fact, the widescreen has shitty audio. What gives?

Earthquake is widescreen and sounds decent.

The current release of Towering Inferno looked great. My only reference is seeing it in the theater with my parents when I was little.

Haven't seen the DVD release of Poseidon Adventure. But if it's anything like Towering Inferno, you won't be disappointed.

5. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

He said "just a re-release". In other words, the same disc as before. EXACT same. Non-anamorphic.

Peter Staddon said in his last chat that no plans for new versions of TI or Poseidon Adv. were planned for 2003, and that he didn't think Fox had the rights to them any more.

7. Declan

Declan Second Unit

watched towering inferno on the TV years ago. Would'nt be much pushed on seeing it again (although i did enjoy it and I'm a disaster movie junkie).

dunno if i'd watch it on DVD though if the chance came up.

8. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Towering Inferno desperately cries out for a remaster.
    tons of moire, shimmering and a soft pixelated quality.
    maybe on a smaller display ( i don't remember it being all that bad lookning on a 53" rp i had, but i found it pretty much unwatchable on my fp)
    i bought the R4 disc which is enhanced, but unfortunately still suffers frm the moire and shimmering, and really doesn't look all that much better than the R1 non aanmorphic.
    it also loses a great 5.1 track.

i don't know why people get embarassed about admitting to liking this movie ( or PA).
    to me, both of these are top shelf 'movie-movies'.
    great casts, fine acting, done with some intelligence, and directed with a high degree of competency.
    even the 'corn-ball' aspects are amusing and not completely patronizing (like Armageddon) or intelligence insulting (like Independence Day).

the Swarm on the other hand....

10. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Joel, no prob. [​IMG]

Colin, here's the exact quote:

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

David, I remembered the quote - Inferno's a childhood fave I'd love to see upgraded. I made my comment because of the contradiction between the concept that Fox doesn't have the rights but they're re-issuing the DVD. Mr. Staddon stated that he didn't THINK they had the rights, of course, so he apparently was mistaken. But if they're not working on a new version, it would appear that rights aren't the reason behind that.

Or maybe they did lose the rights and they just regained them - who know? I simply meant to indicate that if they're putting out a re-release, they must now have the rights, so that reason for no new edition doesn't hold any longer...

13. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Airport 1975 and Airport '77 discs bundled together at Sam's Club for $8 a few years ago. They were two of my first DVDs.

Anyhow, they both look like total crap. I've never seen such aliasing problems. The source elements look like they were in pretty good shape, but I think somebody had the "sharpness" setting on the encoder at its highest value, or something, since every other frame has severe jagged edges. Jimmy Stewart's suit at the beginning of Airport '77 looks like a compressionist's nightmare to begin with, and it's just rendered as a total mess on the Goodtimes DVD.